img_4636

Washington Post Editor Marty Baron may seem like a stoic, quiet man based on his portrayal in the Academy Award-winning film "Spotlight," but at an event sponsored by the Fels Institute of Government on Friday, he told students and faculty the film failed to capture his endearing sense of humor.

In an interview with Annenberg Public Policy Center Director Kathleen Hall Jamieson, the former Boston Globe editor described actor Liev Schreiber's depiction of him as mostly on point, given the somber time during which the movie is set — right around the Sept. 11 attacks.  Baron's family and friends recognized his personality in Schreiber's portrayal of him — almost too much, he said.

During an hour-long interview, Baron discussed his experience leading The Boston Globe's coverage of sexual abuse among Catholic priests — the investigative reporting shown in the 2015 film — as well as other sensitive stories he's handled during his career. 

He spoke about the Miami Herald's decision to do a recount of election ballots in 2000, as well as his decision at the Post to pursue a story on mass government surveillance based on documents leaked by former Central Intelligence Agency employee Edward Snowden.

Baron also discussed the Post's contentious relationship with current Republican presidential nominee and 1968 Wharton graduate Donald Trump. Trump had previously revoked the Post's press credentials to his events.

During a Q&A session following the interview, one student asked Baron how he started his career after college and how he'd try to affect change. Baron answered that he doesn't try to affect change, but rather puts in the work that will eventually bring about change.

The event was the first in a series called Public Policy in Practice, led by Fels Senior Fellow Elizabeth Vale, who introduced Baron.