pope

The pope spoke at Independence Hall Saturday afternoon about religious tolerance.

Credit: Amanda Suarez

After the dust of the papal visit had settled, the Division of Public Safety was left with a brief period of reflection on all they had done throughout the weekend. From proxy blessings to childbirths DPS was all over the city on this weekend. Here are some of the highlights:

Reverend Jesse Jackson blesses a DPS officer

Sgt. Miguel Gonzales of Penn Police was on patrol near 38th and Market streets when Rev. Jesse Jackson came out of an event at the 1st District Plaza. Upon asking the sergeant for transportation to 30th Street Station, the Reverend’s bags were loaded into Gonzales’ patrol car and he was taken to the station. Jackson then told the sergeant that the pope had shaken his hand, then placed that hand on the sergeant’s forehead and offered a blessing.

DPS hosts Good Morning America

A Penn alumnus working for ABC’s Good Morning America reached out to Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush, requesting a venue to meet with a boy who had been blessed by Pope Francis. Given the road-closures, there was no way for the ABC staff to utilize GPS directions, so DPS was on the phone, giving them step-by-step, turn-by-turn instructions on how to get to campus from the Pennsylvania turnpike. Ultimately the interview and shoot took place within DPS’s offices.

Award form Army National Guard

The cooperation between DPS and the Army National Guard this weekend brought the department special recognition. The plaque awarded to DPS reads: “Presented to The University of Pennsylvania Department of Public Safety in appreciation for your outstanding support to the 103rd Brigade Engineer Battalion (Task Force Griffon) Pennsylvania Army National Guard during the World Meeting of Families Event, Philadelphia, PA September 2015.”

Papal Patrol

Officers Squadroni and Denshiuk patrolled the streets of University City. Denshiuk mounted a pope doll to the front of his police bicycle, and papal pilgrims took photos with the spirited bike and officer.

Staff Reporter Anna Hess contributed reporting.