01092010_wrestlingvsrider0058
The Penn Quakers battled back during Saturday's wrestling meet against Rider, overtaking the Broncs later in the match. The Quakers also bested the Binghamton in their second meet of the afternoon 149 - Michael Kessler (R) def. Troy Hernandez (P), 6-3 (Penn 9-3) Credit: Pete Lodato , Pete Lodato

Athletes often use the summer following their freshman year to work on taking their games to the next level.

Junior Troy Hernandez, who is starting this year on the wrestling team at 157 pounds, didn’t have that opportunity.

Instead, he spent three to four days a week in physical rehabilitation recovering from a torn labrum in his left shoulder. Last fall, he returned to school but when he hit the mats, he realized he still was not strong enough to wrestle.

“It’s a bummer,” Hernandez said. “Last year, I really expected to start.” Hernandez spent this past year working out, scrimmaging at practices and supporting his team from the sidelines during home matches.

Now that Hernandez has returned, he has pledged to work toward a season that makes up for the lost one.

“I’m setting my bars high,” he said. “I want to be an EIWA champion and an NCAA All-American.”

The wrestling season began this past Sunday at the Binghamton Open in Binghamton, N.Y. Hernandez won two matches and lost two, a decent result considering the circumstances.

He faces the arduous task of returning to Division I intercollegiate wrestling and has worked toward it vigorously.

“I really just pushed myself hard,” he said.

Assistant coach Matt Valenti concurred.

“He’s come back very strong,” Valenti said.

Head coach Rob Eiter is helping Hernandez fine-tune his technique, helping to ensure that he does not reinjure his shoulder.

According to Eiter, Hernandez’ original style could be problematic. Hernandez has a “very fluid” method, Eiter said, and “he does a lot of things where his shoulder’s going behind.”

But these mechanical changes must strike a delicate balance between safety and style.

Hernandez has been wrestling for 14 years, and his methods are fully ingrained. Eiter is teaching Hernandez to “tighten everything up” with a simple technique.

“We’re trying to create a different habit,” Eiter said. “It’s just repetition, repetition.”

Hernandez and coaches agree that these changes are subtle yet vital.

“It’s more better technique [than style],” Hernandez said. “If you have good technique, then you won’t get hurt.”

He has also received steady assistance Matt Valenti, whose family he grew up wrestling with in the same New Jersey town. He considers Valenti to be both a coach and a friend.

“We were all a little bit disappointed [when Hernandez got injured],” Valenti said. “[But] Troy has always been a tough kid … He did a great job of staying positive and getting ready for this year.”

Penn wrestling is ranked No. 16 in the nation. If Hernandez continues improving, his strong work ethic could be the edge that will help push the Quakers into a top-15 team.