Whoever said that December is the most wonderful time of the year was not a college student.

You might be anxious because it’s the time of year when you can’t get to Van Pelt too early. It seems like everyone but you must have asked ol’ St. Nick for a spot in Rosengarten reserve — or you just didn’t make the good list. It’s been packed with students all weekend long and doesn’t seem likely to empty until the end of finals on Dec. 22.

“Study in a non-sleep-inducing chair and position. Get fresh, cool air periodically. Wake up by running up and down stairs, push-ups, shower, or brushing teeth rather than excessive caffeine — coffee, tea, No-Doz, cola, chocolate. The excessive caffeine can make you jittery,” the Penn Counseling and Psychological Services website recommends.

While CAPS and Student Health Services tout sleep and nutrition as the best way to maintain energy during exams, caffeine seems to be the primary food group for many students during December.

College sophomore and Rodin Rise and Shine Cafe barista Alix Roberts said students have been consistently buying coffee and energy drinks in preparation for exams. The convenience store, stocked with plenty of Red Bull, has been seeing its heaviest stream of customers from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. when students are in need of a pick-me-up.

CVS Pharmacy at 40th and Walnut streets is also helping students study, putting earplugs on sale and constantly replenishing energy drink stocks.

Sharif Ullah, a cashier for Saxby’s at 40th and Locust streets said customers have been buying more coffee than usual all weekend. Students have been “staying later [than usual] with laptops and books” until the shop closes at midnight. He also noted that many people are studying in groups, rather than doing work alone as they typically do.

To counteract some of the stress of the coming weeks, college houses are hosting events to help students cope. Rodin is holding its Study Break Series all week long. Events include “De-stress with Dogs” — that took place yesterday — and free chair massages on Wednesday.

Camille Frausto, a College junior, attended “De-stress with the Dogs.” “It’s impossible not to smile when hanging out with [puppies],” she said.

Frausto, who has three final exams this semester, said she is trying to plan out her studying schedule so she won’t have to cram — but acknowledged her schedule will probably get a lot busier.

Comparing her December to the puppies’, she said, “I wish my life was as carefree as theirs.”