School of Arts and Sciences Dean Rebecca Bushnell’s decision to extend her tenure until June 2013 will allow her to finish leading Penn’s Making History Campaign for the School of Arts and Sciences. The goal is to raise $500 million by June 2012.

Having begun her term as dean in January 2005, Bushnell initially planned to step down from the administration in December 2011, to pursue full-time scholarship and teaching.

Bushnell noted that the timetable of the Making History Campaign was “not on [her] radar” when she began her seven-year tenure — a standard term length for deans.

Yet “there is important work still to do for the School,” she added of her decision. “I’m happy to stay on.”

Penn President Amy Gutmann said she is “delighted” that Bushnell will continue as dean, as now she will be able to both “see the campaign through to the end and have a year for a victory lap afterwards” before giving up her post.

However, Gutmann stressed that the campaign is not the sole benefit of Bushnell’s longer term — nor does Bushnell’s extension relate to the campaign’s current performance.

“I would have wanted her to stay longer in any case, but the campaign makes it all the more sensible for her to do so,” Gutmann said.

According to Gutmann, the University does not have immediate plans for a search for a new SAS dean.

Provost Vince Price lauded Bushnell’s success in how she has “tackled the school’s finances,” among other accomplishments.

Though she enjoys her administrative work, Bushnell wrote, she will be thrilled to eventually turn all her attention toward her “first love” of teaching and scholarship .

Bushnell — a scholar of English literature, history and culture — teaches only one course per year now, so College senior Rebecca Matte said it “would be wonderful to have her teaching more.”

Because of Bushnell’s packed schedule as dean, Matte — one of Bushnell’s advisees — added it is often difficult to schedule meetings with her, but she “always makes time for me … she is one of the best professors I’ve ever had.”

College sophomore Sumithra Naidoo praised Bushnell’s ability to relay her expert knowledge to students in a clear way.