Although most students will recognize her as the first female U.S. Secretary of State or the highest ranking woman in U.S. government at the time, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright has never let her past position define her.

Given her long history of dedication to international affairs, the Social Planning and Events Committee Connaissance subcommittee chose Albright as this spring's keynote speaker. She will address the Penn community on Feb. 28 at 7:30 p.m. in Irvine Auditorium.

Her lecture will focus on the current global political climate and "future challenges facing the younger student generation," according to a press release.

Connaissance selected Albright due to her "vast political experience and insight into the workings of international relations and modern democracy," explained College junior and Connaissance co-director Eileen McKeown.

"The conflicts in the world today will make her address to the Penn community particularly relevant based on her former position," she said.

As secretary of state, Albright played a key role in the expansion of NATO and sought to promote democracy and human rights throughout the world, according to the press release. Today Albright continues her diplomatic career by serving as principal of two eponymous global strategy and investment firms.

Albright also heavily contributed to the campaign and election of President Barack Obama and has written three New York Times best-sellers since her term in President Bill Clinton's cabinet.

Albright will follow on the heels of CNN's Anderson Cooper last semester, former White House Chief Strategist Karl Rove last spring and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger in fall 2006.

College senior and SPEC President Michelle Jacobson explained that the committee wanted a speaker who would "appeal to student interests but also have something meaningful and insightful to say."

Connaissance co-director and College senior Michael Zorger agreed on the relevance of the selection. "Dr. Albright is exceptionally befitting to this forum," he said in the press release.

Tickets will be available for $10 for PennCard holders through a lottery system, which will be open between Feb. 12 and 21. Tickets not reserved through the lottery will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Related StoriesCNN host Anderson Cooper discusses the importance of objective journalism - NewsSPEC chooses 'Sister Act' star for fall talk - NewsSPEC picks Colts QB for Connaissance talk - NewsKissinger draws parallels between Iraq and Vietnam - News