Defense lawyers and prosecutors agree that 2005 alumnus Edward Anderton is fully culpable for helping organize an identity-theft scam in which he and his ex-girlfriend stole about $119,000.

But at a hearing Friday, the two sides were at odds about whether Anderton's remorse or the severity of his crimes should be the main factor in his sentencing.

The result was a compromise, with Anderton receiving a sentence of four years in prison, five years probation and $100,000 in restitution to victims - which is below the recommended guidelines, but only slightly.

Anderton's jail time is also a full year shorter than that of his partner in crime, Jocelyn Kirsch, a former Drexel University student. The two opened fraudulent credit card accounts in their friends' and co-workers' names.

Anderton's parents gave tearful testimony, describing the sincerity and depth of their son's efforts to get back on track.

Since posting bail, Anderton has worked at a manual labor job and his salary goes toward a bank account specifically for restitution.

This salary, in addition to his liquefied 401K and other legally obtained money in a bank account, amounts to about one third of the total restitution he will have to pay.

Nicholas Constan, a Penn Legal Studies and Business Ethics professor who worked with Anderton while he was an undergraduate, also spoke on his behalf.

Constan offered one explanation for Anderton's behavior.

The type of students at Penn, "many of whom might have been able to have a nice car," Constan said, might have put pressure on Anderton to improve his own lifestyle.

Anderton expressed heartfelt regret to everyone he had hurt and betrayed.

He apologized to Kirsch, his former employer, neighbors, family and his best friend from Penn, whom he referred to as LB.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Louis Lappen reminded U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno of the severity of Anderton's crimes.

"Anyone who is watching the outcome has to see that there are huge consequences," he said of the scam in which Anderton and Kirsch - dubbed the "Bonnie and Clyde" of identity theft - stole money to finance trips to Europe and other expensive purchases.

Federal guidelines suggest a sentence of four years and nine months to five years and five months in prison, but Lappen said Anderton's effort to get himself back on track should be rewarded.

During Anderton's parole period, Robreno also said Anderton will be required to clear all additional lines of credit with his parole officer and submit all financial records for review.

In addition, Anderton was instructed to refrain from employment where he would have access to financial records and other personal information.

Anderton plans to self-surrender in a jail closer to Seattle, Wash., where his parents live.

In July, both Anderton and Kirsch pleaded guilty to six charges. In October, Kirsch received a sentence of five years in prison as well as $100,000 in restitution fees and five years of probation.