The Penn men's tennis team dispatched Navy 7-0 last year, but with injuries and losses piling up over the past two weeks, this year's matchup figured to be a struggle.

The Midshipmen swept the doubles point to take an early lead, and five of six singles matches went to three sets, but the Quakers managed to grind out a 4-3 overall victory to snap a six-match losing skid.

Penn coach Nik DeVore did not return repeated calls for comment.

Doubles play had been one of Penn's biggest strengths earlier in the season, but the team has now lost the doubles point in each of its past four matches. Against Navy, all three doubles matches went down to the wire; in the first-to-eight, win-by-two format, Penn's top two doubles teams lost 9-7, while the third team lost 8-6.

But this time, the Quakers were able to erase the deficit by winning four of six singles matches.

Penn was boosted by the return of Justin Fox. He came back from an ankle injury against Saint Mary's but then sat out the next three contests. Yesterday, he won in singles 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Yesterday also marked the return of sophomore Alex Vasin, who had not seen any action since his emotional outburst in the spring season opener that DeVore called "unacceptable."

Vasin lost in three sets from the No. 6 slot, 3-6, 7-5, 7-5.

At No. 4 singles, sophomore Adam Schwartz recorded Penn's only straight set win (6-1, 6-4). Seniors Jason Pinsky, Joseph Lok and Brandon O'Gara all played three-set matches. Although O'Gara lost at the No. 5 spot, Pinsky and Lok eked out victories.

The Quakers have only one more non-conference match - at home against Saint John's on Wednesday - before the grueling Ivy League schedule begins.