It's back to business for the retailers that recently vacated the 3900 block of Walnut Street.

Off-campus staples like College Pizza, The Last Word Bookshop and Philly Diner reported that sales have not faltered since University construction forced them to move to new locations last semester.

Those three businesses - along with CVS, College Buffet, Power Yoga and West Philadelphia Locksmith Co. - closed in the fall after the University decided to transform the space into a new apartment-retail complex, set to be completed by August 2008.

The move to different locations around campus has been fairly smooth for most businesses. However, some were not pleased about the help they received from the University in relocating.

"The move was the pitts," West Philadelphia Locksmith Co. employee John Messatizza said. "The move was at Penn's request, and [the University] offered no alternative."

"We assisted all of them," said Executive Director of Real Estate Edwin Datz when asked about the businesses' complaints. "But from an obligation standpoint, we didn't have any."

West Philadelphia Locksmith Co.'s new location, at 42nd and Chestnut streets, is further off campus than its old location, partly due to the company's need for a parking lot, Messatizza said.

He added that business has remained steady overall, though the store has received less walk-in traffic and fewer Penn students since its move.

As for the other companies displaced by the construction - many of which were relocated to spots close to campus - the move amounted to little more than a slight nuisance.

Larry Maltz, owner of The Last Word Bookshop, which relocated to 220 S. 40th St., said that, although sales were slow during winter break, he's now content with the store's new home.

"People are starting to come back, and we're very happy here," he said.

Maltz also praised the University for its role in helping him find a new location.

"I thought of the spot, and Penn helped me pursue it," he said.

College Pizza, which now serves up its slices in Strikes Bowling Lounge at 41st and Locust streets, moved just a week ago, and, while business has not been great, manager George Baluz said he believes students will come to the pizzeria soon enough.

"We need to advertise a little more," he said. "We have students coming in, and we're hoping to attract more people with bowling."

As for Philly Diner, which moved just down the block to the corner of 39th and Walnut Streets, the relocation may have been a blessing in disguise.

"It's like we came out with a new store," manager Mark Saleh said.

Power Yoga - which moved into its new location at 3527 Lancaster Ave. -- could not be reached for comment as of press time, and College Buffet is not returning to campus.