A seemingly inconsequential decision about minority representation on a University governing body has turned into a referendum on a self-appointed wing of student government.

Several minority groups on campus that initially expressed discontent with the selection of student representatives to the University Council are now specifically taking aim at the Nominations and Elections Committee, which presided over the decision. The UC, which is composed of students, faculty and administrators, meets monthly to discuss campus issues.

Following protests by four student groups, the Undergraduate Assembly has formed an ad hoc committee to address the process of filling the five open spots on the UC, which are reserved for "underrepresented or misrepresented groups."

Over the past few days, that process has been criticized for its lack of transparency and reliance on a few elite student government members.

The NEC, which is in charge of doling out the five seats, has also come under fire for its internal workings.

But NEC Chairman Eli Schlam said that opening the group's deliberations up to the public would jeopardize the fairness of the procedures.

Minority groups aren't accepting the explanation.

"This process was shrouded and the students remain behind closed doors," said Prem Tumkosit, spokesman for the lesbian gay bisexual transgender advocacy group Allies.

"There isn't accountability behind these [NEC] positions," he added.

A statement released last night by Allies, black student group Umoja, the Asian Pacific Student Coalition and the United Minorities Council last night called the NEC a "barrier to the democratic process," citing its closed meetings and internally-selected members.

The NEC is the student government group in charge of running elections and making appointments to University committees.

The four minority groups -- all of which boycotted a UA Steering meeting Tuesday night -- urged "a focus on diversifying the representation within the NEC."

They also stressed that the problem was "a campus issue, not a minority issue."

Schlam says that the process is necessarily hidden to avoid prejudice.

"It needs to be an unbiased process," the College senior said.

"Anytime you have limited resources and lots of people want them, you're going to have a conflict," he added.

Despite the attacks on the NEC, the four groups expressed support for the ad hoc committee, though some remained doubtful of the long-term effects.

"We think that the decision by the UA to form a committee is a good first step," Tumkosit, a College senior, said. "We're still a bit skeptical about the change that will come out of this."

UA Chairman and College senior Jason Levine said that both the allocation of seats and the criteria used by the NEC could potentially undergo an overhaul.

"There will be changes before the seats are set in stone for next year," Levine said.

He further expressed concern about the ultimate outcome.

"I hope this doesn't tarnish the relationship we've built across undergraduate constituencies."