If you've ever pondered the origins of the universe or the beginnings of man, Physics and Astronomy Professor Gino Segre's new book, while not the place to find the answers, is the place for contemplation.

Segre published his first book this summer, A Matter of Degrees: What Temperature Reveals About the Past and Future of Our Species, Planet and Universe.

"I wasn't looking for a single answer, I was looking for problems," Segre said.

Segre uses temperature as "a connecting thread" to explore the possible answers for questions in the fields of physics, astronomy, geology and chemistry. He discusses issues from global warming to the evolution of human tribal society after the discovery of fire.

Segre has been promoting his book, most recently with a book signing at the Penn Bookstore yesterday afternoon.

According to Segre, "Nobody has certainly written a book like this."

By making his topic broad enough to reach any non-scientist, Segre said he feels he is going against the grain of what his colleagues consider to be scientific writing.

Segre maintains that it is better to explore such topics in less depth than pursue a narrow branch of work. He plans to put his opinion to the test this spring by teaching a new freshman seminar at Penn. The seminar, "The Ups and Downs of Temperature," will be based on Segre's book and will employ a more broad approach to teaching science.

"It's clearly a debate that goes on," Segre said of the controversy. "Most scientists feel the way you learn science is by doing the craft in some way and acquiring the tools of it. Just talking about it is not a science course."

Segre spent three years conducting research for the book in addition to his regular University duties, and the book was published in July by Viking Press. He did, however, take time away from his own field of theoretical physics and neutrino research to pursue an interest in heat levels.

Because of the theoretical nature of the book, Segre relied on research articles from publications like Scientific American, Science Magazine and Nature to compose the book's 320 pages. He also relied heavily on the writings of physicist George Gamow, and scientists Cindy Vandove and Bob Ballard.

"I've enjoyed this experience. It has turned out well and I wouldn't be surprised if I did write something else," Segre said of his future work.