The Philadelphia Medical Examiner has ruled the death of 22-year-old Wharton undergraduate Electra Bynoe a suicide by asphyxiation.

Bynoe's body was discovered in her home on the 4000 block of Sansom Street Tuesday night.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush, Penn Police Chief Tom Rambo, University officials and the Philadelphia Police Department have refused to provide any specific details about the scene, but Bynoe was reportedly found with a bag over her head.

Bynoe's housemates called Penn Police Tuesday night, concerned for their friend's well-being, though officials would not elaborate.

Both fire rescue teams and police were notified and present on the scene soon before 9 p.m., according to Rambo.

After arriving on the scene, medics quickly gained entry into Bynoe's locked bedroom. Police immediately made the determination that the student had been dead for some time, and no resuscitation was attempted.

A subsequent investigation by the medical examiner's office determined yesterday the cause of death to be asphyxiation, according to Jeff Moran, a spokesman for that office. Officials have not been able to determine the time of death.

Rambo also said that University police are currently "tying up loose ends with University officials" regarding the situation, but that there is no further investigation pending into the incident.

Philadelphia Police, who were originally investigating the death in conjunction with Penn Police, are no longer handling any aspect of the case.

The University did not release Bynoe's name until yesterday morning, when an e-mail was sent to the Wharton undergraduate listserv notifying the community of Bynoe's death.

The University "is working directly with [Bynoe's] family, friends and school to provide the support and comfort through these... difficult hours," Vice Provost for University Life Valarie Swain-Cade McCoullum said Tuesday night. "Our hearts go out to the family in this time."

McCoullum has also noted the number of resources -- including the office of Counseling and Psychological Services, the Reach-A-Peer line and Student Health Service -- available to students who may be having a hard time dealing with the death.

And yesterday afternoon, an informal meeting was held at Steinberg-Dietrich Hall for community members who wished to discuss the circumstances surrounding the death and plan for a memorial service in the future.

The tragedy marks the second confirmed suicide of a Penn student this academic year.

A Wharton junior ended his own life on Oct. 29 by jumping from an eighth floor window in Hamilton College House.

Three other Penn students have also died this academic year.