I can hardly bear to turn on the television. I hesitate to even check my e-mail. Why?

Because every day, every hour, sometimes even every minute someone is dying in the Middle East. And even if all I want to do is watch a Sixers game or read about my friend's spring break trip, I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about the latest tragedy.

I am deeply saddened and troubled by these events, and I speak not only for myself but for the Jewish community at Penn when I say that we are all profoundly distressed by the deaths of innocent people and the continuation of violence.

It might seem incongruous under these difficult circumstances to hold a celebratory event called Israel Day. But the purpose of Israel Day is manifold and, in some ways, there is an even greater need to hold this event now, during these disturbing times.

Israel Day is an opportunity to celebrate culture and life. It is a chance to remember that, in spite of the violence and the fear, people are continuing to live their daily lives as normally as possible. It is a time to reflect on the hope that one day we can celebrate the vibrancy and diversity of Israeli society in a world at peace.

Nevertheless, we -- the students of the Israel Day planning committee -- feel it would be inappropriate to hold this celebration without mention of or a response to the current situation in Israel.

We are also aware that we are not the only group on campus with a vested interest in the Middle East. As we proceed with plans for Israel Day, we also seek to acknowledge the loss of life, and to stress our hopes and prayers for peace. During the event -- which will take place from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. on College Green on Wednesday, April 10 -- there will be a peace display in memory of the victims of the Intifada that began in September 2000.

But that is not enough. We will be holding a memorial vigil on Wednesday, April 10 at 5:30 p.m. on College Green in order to truly mourn the deaths on both sides of this conflict. This is an opportunity for the Jewish community to come together and begin, if possible, the healing process. It is an occasion for all of us who feel in any way affected by or connected to events in Israel to gather so that we can explore the depths of our own emotional responses to world events. This year has been a reality check for all of us -- sadly, no one can say today that they cannot imagine the impact of terrorism on their own lives.

The Jewish community at Penn hopes that Israel Day and the memorial ceremony will reaffirm our support for the continuing existence of Israel as a Jewish state within secure and recognized borders and will also reinforce our stance against terrorist attacks against innocent civilians.

Working under this assumption, the Israel Committee of Penn Hillel attempts to provide a variety of forums that can address a wide spectrum of political and religious beliefs. In my position as Israel chairwoman, I strive to expand Israel programming to include as many views as possible. Especially when it comes to Israel, education must take on a new meaning. It means acknowledging media biases, reading and listening to stories on both sides and pursuing dialogue between divided communities.

Last year, from August 2000 to June 2001, I lived in Jerusalem while studying abroad at the Hebrew University. Within two weeks of the start of the Intifada, I could no longer bear to type "cnn.com" into my Internet browser because I didn't want to know what was happening right outside my door.

Though we may be thousands of miles away from the violence, it is still occurring right outside our door. By joining together to both celebrate the life and culture of Israel and mourn the tragedies unfolding before us, perhaps we can better prepare ourselves for what we find when that door opens.

It pains me to write this column. It pains me to see what people can do to other people. I hope that in our own small way, the Jewish community at Penn can begin to address these events and that we can build bridges toward a more peaceful future.

Liz Rutzick is a senior History major from Portland, Ore., and chair of Hillel's Israel Committee.