As formal rush events continue across Penn's campus, students are accustomed to seeing flyers advertising parties and open houses sponsored by various fraternities.

But this weekend, Pi Kappa Phi received some unwanted advertising from an unknown source.

On Friday, flyers containing offensive anti-homosexual references and sexually explicit photos were distributed across campus, claiming to be advertising a rush party at the Pi Kappa Phi house that evening.

Although the source of the flyers has not yet been identified, InterFraternity Council President and Pi Kappa Phi brother Conor Daly said there are rumors that the flyers originated inside the Quadrangle.

The distribution of the flyers comes on the heels of an incident of vandalism that occurred last Monday evening at the Pi Kappa Phi house, when obscenities were spray-painted on the house's front door at 4040 Walnut Street. However, there is no evidence linking the two slanderous events.

According to Pi Kappa Phi President Andrew Schwartz, the flyers contained "lewd statements referring to homosexuality."

Schwartz said that the Pi Kappa Phi brothers, who have denied any involvement in creating and distributing the flyers, have had strong reactions to the situation.

"The sentiments are that it's... disgusting," Schwartz said. "I've lost my faith in the goodness of some people."

Scott Reikofski, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, said that although little evidence has been collected thus far, the University plans to treat the incident as a hate crime.

"I'm really disappointed that this kind of thing happens on campus," Reikofski said.

While no specific investigation had started as of Friday afternoon, Michele Goldfarb, director of the Office of Student Conduct, said that she will be working closely with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs in handling the matter throughout the coming week.

Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Program Coordinator Larry Moses sent out an e-mail last week notifying all fraternity presidents about the incident and asking for their cooperation in turning over any information they may have about the flyers.

The e-mail also said that the office plans to pursue the issue with the University of Pennsylvania Police Department, as well as with the Office of Student Conduct.

Reikofski said that he believes the flyers, which contained four explicit photos probably taken from the Internet, had obvious malicious intent.

Although at this point there is no concrete information as to who may be responsible for creating and distributing the flyers, there has been some speculation.

Daly said that although he hopes to find out otherwise, he believes the flyers may have been distributed by another fraternity house.

He described the incident as "an act of [a] mindless coward."

"I'd love to not believe that it's a fraternity," Daly said.

Daly added that if the source turned out to be a rival fraternity, "it would make me feel sick."

Daly suggested that with rush currently in progress, someone may have seen this as a way to deter rushees from pledging with Pi Kappa Phi.

"It's sad for someone to feel that they have to do this," Daly said. "It's just so despicable."

Fraternity rush officially ends next Tuesday with the distribution of bids to prospective freshmen.