Jim Lehrer, a fixture in the world of television news for more than two decades, will address graduates at the University's 246th Commencement, Penn administrators confirmed yesterday.

Known for his sobering presence and journalistic integrity, the longtime host of The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS will receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Penn when he takes the stage at Franklin Field on May 13.

In a year that has been defined by breaking news across the globe, Lehrer, 67, said he is eager to address Penn's best and brightest at such an uncertain time.

"I think what happened on 9/11 has opened up opportunities out of this tragedy," Lehrer said in an interview yesterday. "Let's try to find the positive elements of this tragedy."

With the speech still months away, Lehrer has not yet put ideas to paper, but the award-winning journalist said current events will shape the message he delivers to the Class of 2002.

"Who knows what may be on the plate," said Lehrer, who spoke at Tufts University's commencement last spring. "I am a big believer in relating a graduation to the real world. We'll see what the real world is like in May."

University administrators, who have not officially announced the selection but have confirmed it, offered high praise for Lehrer, citing his extensive journalism career and the lengthy list of novels and plays he has written.

"We wanted someone to speak to current affairs and have weight behind his comments," said University Secretary Leslie Kruhly, whose office oversees Commencement activities.

"He has all the attributes we look for in an honorary degree recipient," Kruhly added.

Speakers from the past several years include Sen. John McCain, poet and Nobel laureate Seamus Heaney, former president Jimmy Carter and comedian Bill Cosby.

Lehrer was first approached a few weeks ago by NBC News correspondent Andrea Mitchell, a 1967 Penn graduate and a member of the University Board of Trustees.

"It was the seventh-grade date question: If you were asked, would you accept?" Lehrer said. "And I said yes."

"It's important because it's a launching of a sort," he added. "It's a way of putting the seal on the incredible achievement of every one of the graduates. I've come from a distance because I value what you've done."

A graduate of Victoria College and the University of Missouri School of Journalism, Lehrer began his career as a newspaper reporter and editor in Texas before switching to television.

In 1975, Lehrer partnered with Robert MacNeil to create a nightly news program that ultimately evolved into The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour, carried by PBS stations across the country.

MacNeil retired in 1996, and Lehrer became the sole anchor of The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. The program focuses on in-depth analysis, featuring lengthy segments and soundbites that contrast much of today's fast-paced newscasts.

While The NewsHour draws a smaller audience than its major network counterparts, it does boast several million viewers, and the program is consistently lauded by critics and fellow journalists alike as a much-needed alternative.

As a measure of the respect he receives in political and media circles, Lehrer has served as a debate moderator in the last four elections, including all presidential debates during the 1996 and 2000 campaigns.

Senior Class President Josh Klein said Lehrer's high profile and connection with the news make him an excellent choice.

"I'm excited about it," Klein said. "I'm interested to hear his commentary on the past year and what he has to say to the class on this new world that we're looking to go out into."

Klein, a member of the student-dominated speaker advisory group that participates in the Commencement search, said he is working with other campus leaders and the University to improve the consultation process -- one that both Klein and Penn officials admit could use more involvement from those actually receiving degrees.

"The only students who have any input are those students on the committee," said Klein, adding that a type of online poll is in the works that would allow all students to contribute to the search process.

And Kruhly acknowledged that her office can also do more.

"We need to be more vigorous in engaging that committee," she said.

Three groups currently participate in the formal process -- the University Trustees committee on honorary degrees, a University Council faculty committee and the speaker advisory group.

Penn has not yet announced the other Commencement guests who will receive honorary degrees.

As for Lehrer, he said he plans to spend a great deal of time preparing for his keynote address -- a work ethic he has employed for years behind the news desk.

"I do things in a very concentrated way," he said. "I'll have this on my mind for a while, and I'll take notes and I'll start composing. I'll write and hone. I'm a scratcher, and I fool around with things until the very last minute."