Penn junior co-captain Clarisa Apostol leads the Quakers with 13 runs. The Bishop Eustace (N.J.) graduate is hitting .276 with four doubles. (Stefan Miltchev/The Daily Pennsylvanian)

The Penn softball team will get a break from Ivy League play this weekend. But this isn't your typical break. In fact, it will be one the Quakers' toughest games all season. This afternoon, Penn (12-22, 2-6 Ivy League) will welcome Villanova (27-3, 8-0 Big East) -- one of the region's mightiest juggernauts -- to Warren Field. The doubleheader is slated for 3 p.m. Villanova comes in riding a scorching 15-game winning streak -- a streak which has been intact ever since a March 27 loss to St. Joseph's. Penn, too, will look to build on some previous success as it enters this matchup. The Red and Blue split their four games at Brown and Yale last weekend and are beginning to see noticeable improvements in their overall performance. "One of the positives is that we won a first game [of a doubleheader] -- and in extra innings," said Penn co-captain Clarisa Apostol, referring to a nine-inning 3-0 victory at Yale. "Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to carry that momentum from that weekend." The greatest test that Penn is likely to face this afternoon will come when they stride to the plate. Villanova's pitchers are among the best the Quakers will see this spring. Of the three 'Nova pitchers that have seen action in 2001, none owns an ERA higher than 2.08. The West Coast trio of Theresa Hornick (Edmonds, Wash.), Keri Stoller (West Linn, Ore.), and Kari Singley (Irvine, Calif.) comprise the nucleus of what is a dominant staff. Hornick, a sophomore righthander, is 13-0 with a microscopic 0.56 ERA and 100 strikeouts in 87 innings. On a team with a wealth of sensational pitching, she is the ace. The Quakers are familiar with Villanova, however, most recently squaring off with their Mainline foe in a game last fall. And because Penn has had exposure to all of the weapons that the Wildcats will be armed with today, the Quakers think that they have found a way to be successful. "I remember both of their [starting] pitchers are very good," Penn sophomore shortstop Crista Farrell said. "But if we lay off the high pitches, we should be OK." Farrell explained that although Villanova's staff is tremendously talented, it often relies on getting hitters to chase pitches out of the strike zone. Apostol added that the team's practices in the past couple of days have emphasized the approach that Penn will look to adopt in the batter's box today. "[Penn coach] Carol [Kashow] just wants us to have a good at bat," Apostol said. "We want to have a good pitch selection." This non-conference midweek tilt, which is common in Penn's schedule, will serve as a bridge to next week's Ivy League road games at Cornell on Friday and Columbia on Saturday. The Quakers, while always looking forward to league play, still appreciate the opportunity to take on some other local rivals. "The competition is usually pretty balanced in the City Six," said Apostol, referring to the six Philadelphia-area teams. "That gives you more motivation because you're on a more even playing field." Farrell noted that the doubleheader with the Wildcats could be more competitive than one might think, since the Quakers are steadily gaining confidence in themselves as the season progresses. "Last weekend was the first one that we really got it together," Farrell said. "I think we're headed in a better direction than we were."