There is only one rule in Linguistics 205: No talking. Out loud, that is. When you enter Linguistics 205 -- Intermediate American Sign Language -- you will find 11 energetic students who communicate with Linguistics instructor Bob Shilling and each other by motioning with their hands. As instructors of one of the Penn Language Center's most popular courses, sign language teachers boast of full enrollment in all sections every semester. Shilling, who is deaf, used a student as an interpreter. "Three years ago someone even tried to bribe him [to get into the class]," said College sophomore Eli Moyer, interpreting his signs. "Of course, he refused." Shilling communicated his happiness with how popular sign language has grown since he was hired by Penn -- which he jokingly added "begged him to come" -- to teach sign language in 1996. Since then, the program has grown to four teachers and offers eight classes a year. "It's entirely hands-on," Moyer said, with no pun intended. "There's very little paperwork -- everything we learn, we apply." Other students echoed Moyer's enthusiasm for the course. "It's the only class I've never fallen asleep in," College senior Gerard Joe said. Sign language is just one of the many unusual courses offered by the Penn Language Center. The Center's Less Commonly Taught Language Program provides courses in more obscure languages like Gaelic, Swahili, Yiddish and Bengali. Students with the desire to learn unique tongues may find their niche through this College of General Studies program. Many come to the center for cultural reasons, wishing to explore their heritage. Others just want to expand their horizons beyond the four basic languages offered by most high schools. Nursing senior Abby Kra decided to learn sign language after a first-hand experience with communication barriers. "I came across a deaf person in my clinicals once. No one could communicate with them and it inspired me," she said. Bree Donohue, a College junior who studied Gaelic last fall, said the class familiarized her not only with the language, but the cultural aspects of it as well. Due in part to these studies, Donohue has started a Celtic Society at Penn, and hopes to inspire other students to take similar language classes. "I'll definitely encourage people within the Celtic Society to speak Gaelic and study Gaelic," she said. Donohue said she has stopped taking the class due to scheduling conflicts, but continues to study on her own. PLC courses also attract students with ambitious plans for their own education. College sophomore Jason Chinitz is now in his second semester of Yiddish, hoping to become the first student to make it a minor. "[The classes] have been great, especially since it's so small. You get a lot of attention," he said, noting that his class had five students in it this semester. Some students have also decided to take LCTLs in preparation for future plans. College sophomore Matt Swerdlow said he is taking Swahili with the intention of going to Africa someday. "It's very different; it's something you've never heard or seen before," Swerdlow said.