The Quakers may be without starting offensive linemen Carmelo Rubano and Jason Lebron for the season opener. The words pain and football have become synonymous over time. So with Penn's opening kickoff less than two weeks away -- September 19 at Dartmouth -- it is time to deliver the first edition of the Penn infirmary report. In the past, Penn coach Al Bagnoli has been able to keep his players pent up in the dorm rooms of Lawrenceville Prep (N.J.) for football camp. While the Quakers settled into the cushy confines of the Chestnut Street Sheraton for this fall's version of camp, injuries have piled up unlike Bagnoli can remember in recent times. So, while Jim Finn, Matt Rader and company used the extra two-a-days to sharpen the Quakers' offensive efficiency, many others found themselves working on improving the trainers' efficiency. · One of the biggest question marks going into this season is the play of the offensive line. After losing First Team All-Ivy lineman Mike Soyster and Chris Riley, several inexperienced players will be called upon to explode opposing defenders off the line of scrimmage. "We have a group of guys that are extremely talented, but they are young," Finn said. "The question is whether they can do it during the game." More discouraging is that the starting core has been the most hampered by pre-season injuries. Incumbent left tackle Jason Lebron suffered a third-degree knee sprain in last weekend's scrimmage against Millersville (Pa.). The junior is expected to miss anywhere from two to five weeks. The swelling and pain will determine when Lebron can put the pads on again -- if at all before the season opener. "You've lost your left tackle, which is a kid that has been around for 10 games," Bagnoli said of Lebron. "You have some young kids now who don't have a wealth of playing time." After a solid freshman season, Lebron started all 10 games last season in his sophomore campaign, making Lebron one of the few lineman who Bagnoli knows what to expect from. · Moving from tackle to center, Lebron's partner in pancake and chop blocks, Carmelo Rubano, has also suffered from early injury problems. Rubano was unable to practice until last week. "[Carmelo Rubano] is probably the quarterback of the offensive line. He's the center." Finn said. "Everybody trusts him. He knows all the calls. People go to him when they have a question." The senior has suffered from disc problems in his back. Though not the most game-tested returning lineman, the Quakes have expected Rubano to provide leadership for the young group. "Our front five, athletically, move pretty well. They are not a huge line," Bagnoli said. "We're not talking about having 300-lb. kids blocking for us. Our concern is inexperience." · On the other side of the ball, tight end Ben Zagorski has been struggling to stay healthy as well. Like Rubano, Zagorski was diagnosed with a bad back, but is not necessarily expected to miss game time. His condition has been classified as "nagging" and may effect his ability to play, but not necessarily dress and be ready for game conditions. "We've had some concerns with whether or not he will be a significant part of our offense," Bagnoli said. "He can get up field and catch the ball. So we'll keep our finger crossed and see if he can get healthy. But he hasn't been healthy all preseason." Though wide receivers Doug O'Neill, David Rogers and Brandon Carson have emerged as a solid targets for Rader, Bagnoli is seeking greater pass catching production from his tight ends. Zagorski has figured into a large part of the plans. Juniors Brandon Clay and Clint Burhorn will be called on to pick up the slack until Zagorski is healthy and all three can contribute. · One aspect of the Quakers' pre-season that has been healthy and productive is the play of several transfers. Three athletes brought their services to Penn this fall from other Division I programs. The one who seemingly will have the greatest immediate impact on the Quakers season is defensive lineman Mike Germino, a transfer from Boston University. After the graduation of Mitch Marrow and Doug Zinser, several questions existed about the D-line. Seniors Larry Rascoe, Qurran Rogers, Jason Maehr and junior Adrian Puzio are sure to provide solid play. Germino, however, has dazzled many in camp, and may be the answer to the departure of Marrow. "[Germino] started 10 games at BU last year, so he's got a wealth of playing experience," Bagnoli said. "It's not our system, but he played." The other two transfers hail from storied football programs, but will have to spend a year learning the Penn system. As quarterbacks, Edward Mebs and Reed Werner are both behind Rader on the depth chart. Mebs took snaps for the Miami Hurricanes and Reed played at North Carolina. Reed was also listed as a punter for the Tar Heels, and may find a way into some playing time if the special teams is in need of a shake up. · Bruce Rossignol is the latest Penn player to have to learn a completely different play book -- which in this case is his old playbook. He will start in the secondary as a safety, barring injury. Rossignol, a senior, spent last season as the Quakers' featured blocking back after playing defense the year before.