The revitalization project is the latest joint Penn-community effort to improve the area. As the successful UC Brite initiative continues to light up neighborhood streets and with the University City District well in place, the University's latest announcement focuses on rehabilitating run-down properties. Penn, in conjunction with local community groups, is funding a project to purchase abandoned buildings and renovate them into single-family homes, which will then be sold -- largely to University affiliates like faculty and staff. New Managing Director for Community Housing Diane-Louise Wormley estimated that only 12 percent of University City properties are privately-owned -- the rest are rented to students. This results in increased rent prices and an extremely high turnover rate in neighborhood population. We eagerly anticipate the announcement of more initiatives under Wormley's direction. The neighborhood could also benefit from improvement to local schools. And revisions to the University's mortgage program, which currently guarantees 105 percent on a West Philadelphia house and allows employees to secure a mortgage without making a down payment, could lure even more faculty and staff to the area. With each subsequent initiative, the University should continue to expand its partnership with the local groups. And hopefully we can finally end the paradigm of "Penn versus the community."