University Board of Trustees Chairperson Roy Vagelos donated the money for an undergraduate program in molecular life sciences. University Board of Trustees Chairperson Roy Vagelos and his wife, Diana, once again showed their commitment to Penn yesterday, as they pledged $10 million to create a new undergraduate program in molecular life sciences. The announcement came in conjunction with the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the Vagelos Laboratories for the Institute for Advanced Science and Technology -- made possible by another $10 million contribution from the Vageloses in 1995. Beginning next year, the program will allow College of Arts and Sciences students to participate in an interdisciplinary program combining chemistry and physics with biology, biochemistry, genetics, neuroscience and other subjects. "This is a magnificent affirmation of Roy's belief in the value of a cross-disciplinary educational program in the life sciences, which will enable Penn to attract the very best undergraduate science students," University President Judith Rodin said. Course study will provide students with the "nuts and bolts of what's necessary to understand biology," Vagelos said. Next fall, 10 students will be designated as Vagelos Scholars. The scholars will have an opportunity to work in laboratories in the School of Arts and Sciences as well as the University's Medical, Veterinary and Dental schools in order to receive "integrated research experiences," Rodin said. The Vagelos Scholars Program will provide the students with financial aid, as well as stipends for support of summer research projects. "Students who participate in this program will not only have an advanced science curriculum, they will also participate in research at Penn during the summer, giving them the kind of first-hand experience that makes for an excellent science education," College Dean Robert Rescorla said. Increasing undergraduate research opportunities has been a focus of the administration's since the beginning of the 21st Century Project on undergraduate education in 1994, and is a major component of the Agenda for Excellence strategic plan put forth by Rodin. The new program will also complement the added research opportunities provided by the new IAST building. "Yes, we need new space, but we also need to support student programs -- this is a way to couple the two," Vagelos said. The program will act as a recruiting tool to encourage students interested in science and research to attend the University, Provost Stanley Chodorow said. "This program will have a wonderful effect on recruiting students," Chodorow said. "It will change the mix of students who come to Penn." Interim SAS Dean Walter Wales called the creation of the program "unmatched." "It's a wonderful thing for the school and for undergraduate research," Wales said. "It will attract students here that might not otherwise have come here." The Vagelos Scholars Program is "an enormous creative addition" to existing interdisciplinary programs like the International Studies and Business and Management and Technology programs, Vice Provost for Research Ralph Amado said. The program, approved by the College Curriculum committee, awaits SAS approval, Rescorla said. Vagelos, who majored in Chemistry as a Penn undergraduate, is the former chairperson and chief executive officer of Merck & Co. Inc., a pharmaceutical and health care company.