To the Editor: The claim that "SPEC needs to start looking for Fling bands earlier if they want to sign big-name bands" implies that we, as directors, have been either lazy or stupid. We have been neither. The ridiculous factual inaccuracies of the editorial show the DP has no idea about the process of setting up a national act concert. We would like to make it known that, while the DP or any student has a right to criticize the band choice, they do not have the right to criticize inaccurately our hard work or competence. This is not only insulting, it is just plain wrong. Our process began in September, the first week that school began, and yes we do work through a professional agent. We want to properly address the concerns of the student body and the obnoxious misrepresentations of The Daily Pennsylvanian. For now, we will suffice to say the DP has continued its legacy of problematic and inaccurate information. Barbara Burns College '97 SPEC Spring Fling Co-Director (4 signatures follow) u To the Editor: Where shall we begin? It is so obvious in their editorial on the Fling Concert the DP has absolutely no clue as to what they are talking about. There is an industry out there in music land that revolves around a thriving business market, driven by factors associated with many modern capitalistic markets. These are -- as I'm sure the DP doesn't understand -- factors such as supply, demand, monopolies, promoters, venues, repeat bookings, etc. While we will not take the time to explain the relevance and interaction of these industry drivers and their consequences, we will point out that we operate in the Philadelphia market under the influences of these factors and many others and enjoy our advantages and must deal with our disadvantages. We wanted A Tribe Called Quest and we were the only school to get them. We know what we're doing and how to get what we want if what we want is available. Not all bands are touring all the time! They actually have other things to do! And some bands that we may want are touring, but there is a thing called monopoly that exists and maybe if the DP thinks about it really hard you'll know what we're talking about -- maybe. We've been working on this show since the summer and if that's not early enough for you then you'll just have to get over it. Please refrain from trashing us, all we're trying to do is put on a concert that Penn students will enjoy and this year we have booked a band that almost everyone loves. The show is going to be incredible. If you don't want to come, we won't miss you. Allison Rosen Wharton '98 Betsy Pellegrini College '97 SPEC Concerts Co-Directors Support 'Take Back the Night' To the Editor: I am writing to commend your guest columnist Sapana Donde for her creative approach to making Take Back the Night as inclusive as possible. She and others on the Take Back The Night planning committee faced an enormous task in trying to unite students, staff, and faculty in support of sexual violence survivors. Most people at Penn agree sexual violence is wrong and must be prevented, but there is widespread disagreement over how to meet this goal. The debates about how to do it and who to include can be frustrating and even painful, but I believe that they are ultimately healthy and necessary debates. Only a hardy few, primarily student members of NOW and STAAR, have had the perseverance to move forward and take the risks which come with planning Take Back the Night. As the staff advisor to STAAR, I want to remind Penn students that STAAR is accepting applications from men and women who want to become facilitators in preventing rape and promoting healthy relationships. Applications are available in 310 Houston Hall. If men are wondering where they fit-in to the movement against sexual violence, let me point out that since STAAR was founded in 1989, over 50 male Penn students have made a difference at Penn as STAAR facilitators. Please join STAAR and support the work of Sapana and other women leaders on campus. Kurt Conklin Office of Health Education Baker is a good leader To the Editor: This is in response to Robert Glazer and Robert Fechner's letter to the editor. It has been my personal policy not to speak to the DP about issues concerning the InterFraternity Council. I have found the DP attempts sensationalism and often takes quotes out of context or completely misconceives them. However, IFC President Matt Baker does not have that luxury. He was elected by the presidents of the IFC to be our voice. When attempting to compare Baker to past IFC presidents, no previous president has had to deal with the "charging issue." For the past 40 years it has been passed down the line. Unfortunately, the University decided to press the issue now. Baker has done an exemplary job defending the Greeks and the Greek system while trying to work with the University. While it was not Glazer and Fechner's goal to berate or demean Baker they succeeded in not only that, but the berating and demeaning of the complete IFC Board. There are general meetings every other Wednesday. Each fraternity can send as many reps as they wish. Glazer and Fechner and any other Greek are more than welcome to come to discuss any issue they see fit. The only thing that the letter to the editor "Baker is not the only Greek voice" proved was their own ignorance of the situation. Adam Silfen College '98 Sigma Alpha Epsilon InterFraternity Council Vice President for Rush and Member Education