Although his recent knee injury may prevent him from actively scrubbing away graffiti or cleaning up trash, President Clinton will attend Philadelphia's "Presidents' Summit" on community service April 27-29, officials announced Tuesday. Hillary Clinton, Vice President Al Gore and his wife, Tipper, have also agreed to participate in the conference along with thousands of volunteers from communities nationwide. Although the Clintons and Gores had expected to participate in the event since its January announcement, it was not clear whether their speeches were to be given in person or via satellite. But White House spokesperson Mike McCurry announced that the Clintons and Gores will do more than address the conference in person -- they will even participate in the event's opening cleanup of garbage along the city's Germantown Avenue. Philadelphia Deputy Mayor Kevin Feeley said the "massive cleanup" would beautify "some of the hardest hit economically areas," in addition to the wealthy Society Hill neighborhood. Feeley stressed that while several big-name politicians will attend the event, "most of the people coming here are not politicians -- they are citizens." But in addition to such community volunteers, politicians and celebrities such as former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford and actors Barbra Streisand and Arnold Schwarzenegger, are among those who have expressed interest in the summit. Clinton and former President George Bush jointly announced in January that Philadelphia would host the non-partisan, three-day conference to call attention to various community service initiatives. Although Clinton and Bush serve as the summit's honorary co-chairpersons, retired Gen. Colin Powell is its active chairperson and former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Henry Cisneros is its vice-chairperson. "We find ourselves feeling that what divides us from one another is more powerful than the glue that holds us together in communities and as a nation," the four said in a recent statement. The statement noted that community service is a way to make a difference in people's lives and teach them to similarly enrich the lives of others, adding that the leaders especially hope to influence America's youth. Politicians and civic leaders will speak about community service initiatives at the Convention Center and Independence Hall throughout the summit, which has been funded by organizations such as the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation and the Pew Charitable Trusts. And while the presidents' speeches are not open to the general public, organizers urge members of the community to participate in the conference's hands-on events, such as the Germantown Avenue cleanup. Daily Pennsylvanian staff writer Randi Rothberg contributed to this article.