Striving to foster communication with Greek leaders, University President Judith Rodin addressed approximately 60 presidents of fraternities and sororities last night at a panel discussion in the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house. College junior and InterFraternity Council President David Treat, Wharton junior and BiCultural InterGreek Council President Trista Bridges, and Wharton junior and Panhellenic Council President Lissette Calderon joined Rodin on the panel. In her brief address, Rodin said the administration recognizes that fraternities and sororities are involved in community activities at the University as well as in West Philadelphia. They are not solely social institutions -- as they were when she was in a sorority as a student at the University, Rodin said. Yet questions about social activities abounded at the meeting. In response to a question about the IFC's recently adopted "Bring Your Own Beer" alcohol policy, Rodin alluded to a Harvard University study that found binge drinking to be increasing among college students -- especially freshmen. She added that the University "doesn't wish to be the police in enforcing the policy, so it must be something that is enforced -- like an honor code -- by the students." Rodin also said she acknowledges that the Greek system has a significant history at the University. She said the idea of fraternities and sororities having open events at which everyone is welcome appeals to her. However, she said it is not something she would like to see institutionalized throughout the University. Bridges asked whether the University will provide Big-C organizations with office space and an area to store their records -- since most Big-C organizations do not have their own houses. Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Tricia Phaup, who was also present at the meeting, responded that the administration is working to accommodate this request. Rodin also discussed what she described as strained racial relations on campus, acknowledging that the Big-C has encountered hostility from other students. When asked what the University has done to compensate for the Greeks' reduced role in campus social life, Rodin replied that "if you come up with ideas, as long as they're not illegal or immoral, we will try to help." She also reassured her audience that the boarded-up fraternity house at 37th and Locust streets, which formerly housed Theta Xi, will eventually become the Penn Women's Center. But she added that because the building is in such disrepair, it will take more time and cost more money to complete the project. Treat complained to Rodin that The Daily Pennsylvanian does not have adequate competition in its coverage of campus news. Rodin responded that it would be "inappropriate" for the University to choose to support another news source, such as UTV13, in order to check the DP's virtual monopoly on campus news. She added that the merger of the Almanac and The Compass is significant, as people may begin to look to the University publications for campus news. When asked whether she saw the University's fraternity system as a "problem or an opportunity," she said the "Greek system is an integral part of campus life," and assured the presidents that neither she nor the administration "has any plan to reduce the size of the Greek system." While Rodin did not guarantee that the fraternity houses would all remain in their present locations, she said "no discussion about changing any [fraternity house] locations is presently being had." Rodin concluded the meeting by explaining to the Greek presidents that the University is very supportive of their organizations. She also thanked them for their willingness to comply with the administration's suggested changes.