Wednesday marked the centennial of the founding of the Chi Omega sorority and the 75th anniversary of Beta Alpha, the University's chapter. Founded at the University of Arkansas in 1885, Chi Omega has more than 215,000 initiated members and 175 chapters, making it the largest sorority in the United States. To celebrate, University Chi Omega sisters gave out cake on Locust Walk. "Giving out cake was so much fun," Wharton Junior and Chi Omega President Nicole Adler said. "People were surprised. They didn't know what we were doing." Wednesday evening the University's Chi Omega chapter held a reception in conjunction with the Villanova University chapter at the University City Sheraton. The dinner was attended by approximately 500 people, including campus leaders, faculty and sorority alumnae. People traveled to the event from as far as Wisconsin, according to Adler. College sophomore and Chi Omega sister Katie Leeson said that a time capsule from 100 years ago was opened and read at the reception last night. Various honorariums were also presented. College freshman and Chi Omega Pledge Class President Meka Millstone said she and her pledge sisters were particularly excited to become a part of the sorority on its 100th anniversary. "It's special that our first year is so important in the history of Chi Omega," she said. "We are all very excited and honored to be a part of it." She added that their last week of pledging coincides with the sorority's centennial. "That's pretty neat," she said. Adler said she and her sisters anticipate a strong future for their sorority. "We're looking forward to 100 more years of sisterhood," she said.