A high-speed police chase and ensuing foot pursuit ended in two arrests after Philadelphia Police tailed a stolen car from Center City until it crashed into another vehicle at 36th and Walnut streets yesterday. At times, the pursuit even spilled over onto Locust Walk. Ninth District Philadelphia Police officers, who patrol Center City west of Broad Street, attempted to pull over a black Chevrolet at 22nd and Walnut streets at about 6:58 p.m. A Philadelphia Police detective said the vehicle was observed driving with an expired license plate. The Chevrolet was able to evade the police, however, in a chase that spanned over 20 city blocks and at times had police cars speeding down Locust Walk in pursuit of suspects. The car led police from Center City on Walnut Street toward West Philadelphia, the detective said, adding that 18th District Police units were notified and then joined in the pursuit once the chase crossed the Schuylkill River. It appeared that the Chevrolet was attempting to turn right onto 36th Street from Walnut when the driver lost control of the car and slammed into the driver's side of a blue Pontiac, injuring the two occupants. Police at the scene said that both the driver and passenger of the Pontiac were taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Police said that five male suspects fled the scene of the accident and were pursued by the Ninth and 18th District Philadelphia Police in addition to University Police officers. Philadelphia Police Lieutenant Thomas Lederer said one of the men was arrested at 36th and Market streets and taken to Central Detectives. The detective also said that a second suspect was apprehended at 43rd and Locust streets, while three men remain at large. He said that the police had determined that the Chevrolet, which had the lock on the passenger side removed, was stolen on March 22. A large crowd gathered at the scene of the accident, which closed 36th Street for nearly an hour. Philadelphia and University Police blocked off 36th Street between Sansom and Walnut streets, diverting traffic from one lane of Walnut Street until the cars involved in the accident could be removed from the scene.