The future of Murphy's Tavern may be in question after Liquor Control Board officers raided the bar Friday. As a result of the raid, 63 citations were issued to underage drinkers, according to Bettina Bunting, an enforcement officer in the Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement of the Pennsylvania State Police. A team of undercover enforcement officers from the Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Liquor Control entered Murph's at approximately 12:45 a.m. Saturday, Bunting said. At approximately 1:05 a.m., the rest of the team entered and held an open inspection. Twenty-six minors and one juvenile were apprehended and issued non-traffic citations for underage drinking, Bunting said. She added that they were assisted by uniformed officers of the Philadelphia Police Department. Bunting said it is not typical for her department to discover so many underage drinkers in one establishment during a raid. "This is not a common occurrence and has not been since the liquor code was amended in 1987," she said. The new law sets a minimum penalty of $1,000 on an organization if they are found guilty of selling alcohol to minors. According to Liquor Control Board spokesperson Donna Pinkham, Murph's has been operating without a license since October 31 of last year -- when it was issued a notice of objection to renewal of its license, alleging that "they have abused their licensing privileges." Pinkham said all licenses for establishments in the Philadelphia area are eligible for renewal every October 31. Murph's received a warning on October 31, 1993 -- based on its prior record. According to Pinkham, this means that its history was "bad, but not bad enough to warrant non-renewal." Bunting said the tavern has received nine citations since its license was issued in 1960, each one charging it with sale of alcohol to minors. But although the bar's license was suspended for short periods of time, it was never revoked, she added. Pinkham added that as of November 4, the bar has been operating under temporary authority from the board until the LCB reaches a final decision. Murph's is permitted to operate under these conditions until the board reaches its decision or until October 31, whichever comes first, Bunting said. This hearing is scheduled for March 24, she said. Bunting said this incident will be cited on the tavern's license, adding that the corporate officers, Joseph and James Murphy, have the option of requesting a hearing before an administrative law judge who will decide whether the LCB bureau has met the burden of proving their case. Although neither LCB official knew what the next step in the proceedings would be, Joe Murphy said last night that he has two hearings coming up. He refused any further comment. Bunting said her department is not finished with their review of the establishment.