Penn Dance started its second semester production with a bang -- literally. The hour and a half production began with a performance to the music of singer Prince's "Black Box" and the sound of a gunshot. The opening piece, "23 positions," included a variety of lightings and paces and was choreographed by College sophomore Yasmin Holsey and Engineering sophomore Veena Rau. The 10 dance interpretations included in the program ranged from modern pieces to a piece straight from the tropics and two silent pieces. "Gaea," choreographed by College sophomore Patricia Kulash, was an entertaining and interesting piece which tapped into the dance of the ancient Egyptians. The piece was full of motion and mystery. The only piece which was entirely a solo was performed and choreographed by College senior Nina Bauer. The interpretation, which was named "'Chair' Nobyl," included the ever-present dance chair and music by Madonna. The strangest and shortest performance piece was entitled "Evolution" and included four members of the company evolving from fish to Neanderthal to man in under one minute. "Touch of ?", choreographed by guest choreographer Jose Rodriguez, was a piece in which the audience got a glimpse of the individual talents included within the company. The dance began as a group of 13 of the members dancing in unison but broke into solo interpretations as each was succeeded by a fellow performer. The piece included a little gymnastics, a little modern as well as a bit of ballet. "Tropicalismo" was a playful piece which briefly brought the audience to the Carribean tropics as three dancers added a little extra rhythm to music by Chico Buarque. The entertaining piece was choreographed by College junior Kristi Gamble. The night's performance ended with a two-part piece entitled "Too Sexy on the Walk." The dance began with members of the company satirizing a day on Locust Walk with pamphlet racketeers, the merry and the drunk, an old lady and the well-known bike rider/University police officer encounter. The piece continued, accompanied by some hoots and hollers from the audience as the dance, which was choreographed by College junior Allison Powell, went into motion to "Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. While a few of the pieces could have used a little more practice, the overall performance was an enjoyable one. The company includes talent and much potential and while the performers may have suffered from some "opening night jitters," the performances tonight and Saturday should prove to be as entertaining as last night's, if not more. The last two performances will begin at 8 p.m. in the Annenberg School Theatre. Tickets may be purchased for $5 on Locust Walk. Review REVIEW