It takes freshmen months to become acquainted with the University. Norma Lang tried to do it in a day. At her first visit to the University since being appointed Nursing School dean, Lang met with dozens of people yesterday, including students, faculty and her support staff. Needless to say, the day was long and hectic for the dean-to-be. During one session, Lang briefly spoke and answered questions from over 60 Nursing students on topics ranging form her computer literacy to her opinions on where the Nursing School is headed. Lang told the students, who were mainly upperclass and graduate students, that she does not anticipate any immediate changes for the school and does not even have a new vision for the school. In an interview earlier in the day, Lang emphasized this philosophy. "I think there is a good vision here to start with," Lang said. "I'm not coming in with a big grand plan because this school is so good." "I don't want to do any thing to alter that goodness," she added. "If a school is so successful, you want to make any changes carefully." At the session with students, Lang explained that she wants the nursing profession to take a more influential role in solving the health care problems in the U.S. Although Lang said she supports volunteering in the community, she also wants to make sure that nurses get paid fairly for their work. Lang, who is involved in a variety of national nursing and medical organizations, also told the students that she will support their involvement in the groups. Lang declined to answer several questions, such as ways to deal with Nursing students' perceived isolation from the rest of the University, because she did not feel as though she knew enough about the University yet. Students were excited about their first meeting with the dean and said they hoped she follows through with her positive attitude once she officially assumes the school's top post on March 1. "She seems very positive," said Nursing junior Diane Schretzman. "She seems very interested in undergraduate concerns." Sherry Straus, a graduate nursing student, said she was impressed with Lang, calling her "dynamic" and "a good successor." Lang will be replacing outgoing Dean Claire Fagin, who headed up the Nursing School for 15 years. Fagin will remain at Nursing as a faculty member while she serves as president of the National League of Nursing. When Lang assumes the post, she will be the ninth new dean at the University since Raymond Fonseca took the helm of the Dental School in July 1989. The School of Social Work is currently searching for a new dean. The Veterinary and Education schools are the only University schools not to have lost their top administrator in the last three years.