National fraternity representatives characterized BYOB enforcement as a "major concern" in their organizations, but some officials said they are having trouble convincing their chapters to follow the policy. Tricia Phaup, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, said that while she believes some groups are trying to make a real effort, there are holes in the Interfraternity Council's self-monitoring system. "There are definitely a lot of breakdowns, and the IFC needs to take some time and see what's going on," she said. "When you have a policy you need to follow the letter of the law." It has been almost a year since fraternities first started monitoring BYOB at houses. Last week underage students reported having little trouble obtaining alcohol at fraternity parties and very few have actually "brought their own beer." Phaup said she believes now is the time to evaluate the system and see what changes are required. "The focus should be on the concern for members and guests," Phaup said. "Our greatest concern is an individual ending up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. People's lives are in jeopardy." Sid Dunn, president of the Fraternity Insurance Purchasing Group, said if self-monitoring systems are not working, the nationals or FIPG consultants will enforce BYOB. Eighteen University chapters are members of the nationwide group. Fraternities are faced with a legal situation in which they a bear heavy responsibility for people who may get into an accident after being furnished alcohol at the fraternity. Speaking for his own fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi, Dunn said chapter consultants visit local chapters at least twice a year and send reports to the nationals on matters including BYOB. If violations are found, the nationals take varying actions. AEPi, for example, immediately places its chapters on social probation for inadequate BYOB enforcement. Wynn Smiley, director of communications for the national chapter of Alpha Tau Omega, said self-monitoring systems have been very successful across the country in places where students are committed to enforcing the policy. But if students are not effectively monitoring themselves, many officials said it can be difficult to enforce the policy. Geoffrey Carter, program director of the Risk Management Foundation, called the policy a "very new beast." He said nationals face the problem of having chapter members accustomed to the "old rules," who have problems with local alumni and advisors willing to enforce the policy. Officials also said that because some nationals are more serious about enforcement than others, many houses feel they are at a disadvantage, adding additional pressure to break the rules. "There is only so much we can do from the national," said Carter. "We're not in the business of policing the organization on an every day basis." "At times there is a breakdown in the system," added Beta Theta Pi administrative secretary Robert Cottrell. "The biggest problem with the nationals is that we don't have resident supervisors. We count on local area alumni." Smiley said unless the national put an officer in every house, there is no way to be 100 percent sure BYOB is being followed. ATO relies on reports from alumni and consultants, but Smiley said the most recent report at the University's chapter was over a year old. "We're being as aggressive as our staff and budget will allow," he said. "It's the responsibility of the chapter officers. They need to realize what is at stake if they are breaking it [BYOB]." Officials said it is in the fraternities' best interest to faithfully abide by BYOB regulations and it is up to each individual fraternity to enforce the policy. "It could be the end of a chapter if someone who is served does something stupid," said Smiley. "We are looking out for the interest of the chapter and the individual." Tau Epsilon Phi national executive director Jonathan Seidel said if fraternities are not responsible members may find themselves in trouble with the University or police. "Unless they monitor themselves, someone else will do it for them," Seidel said. Nationally, fraternity officials said BYOB is "generally successful," saying that parties are safer now than they have ever been. They said they will continue to educate members and work toward enforcing their policies. And while a strict BYOB policy might diminish the popularity of fraternity parties, John Perkins, Sigma Alpha Epsilon risk management director, said, "from our reports it hasn't had a negative effect." Perkins said parties have become more controlled, brothers don't have to clean-up after a night of irresponsible drinking, and fraternities save money.