Republican Mayoral candidate Joseph Egan pledged not to raise taxes to solve the city's budget deficit and expressed his support of Senate candidate Dick Thornburgh at a Republican reception last night. But beyond his tax pledge, Egan did not elaborate on the plans he had to address the deficit. "This is a great city, with great potential," Egan said. "We have to bring it together first." Also featured at the two-hour reception held at Cavanaugh's were former mayoral candidate Sam Katz and David Thornburgh, the son of Dick Thornburgh. Egan opened by endorsing the elder Thornburgh, saying that it is "critical" that the former U.S. Attorney General be elected for positive change to come to Philadelphia. Egan also told the group of 50 that his own willingness to "take it slow" and "not shoot from the hip" are important qualities for the next mayor. He said the problems that plague Philadelphia must be examined carefully and that permanent solutions take time. He also said that he has a proper appreciation for the office of mayor. "You should have some initial fear, moving into a task like this," Egan said. Egan also challenged his supporters to work hard at raising support for his campaign as well as the rest of the Republican ticket. David Thornburgh said that his father is "very confident" about his chances in Tuesday's general election. "The secret is jobs, jobs, jobs," Thornburgh said, citing his father. Thornburgh also reciprocated Egan's endorsement, and discussed the importance of the Republican ticket. Sam Katz, Egan's campaign chairman and former candidate for the Republican nomination for mayor, followed Thornburgh with a short speech about Egan and the Republican ticket. "[Egan] is a man of integrity -- he has the skills to lead this city," Katz said. Charles Djou, a Wharton senior said that Egan is what the city "and Penn . . . need." "He's not part of the old machine . . . he can move Philadelphia," Djou said. Milton Pilgreen, a volunteer for the Republican party and a Philadelphia resident praised Egan's character and stance on crime. "He seems to be dependable, not soft on criminals, hardworking, and an honest individual," Pilgreen said. The beginning of the reception included short speeches by Republican city council candidates Thacher Longstreth and Diana Roca, Register of Wills candidate Harry Schwartz, and Common Pleas Court candidates Gary Glazer, Seamus McCafferty, Jack Snite, Webster Keogh, Anne Lazarus.