Philadelphians consume more than 70 million soft pretzels each year, thanks to the Germans. Odd facts like this are provided by the interactive "Do Your Own Heritage" computers opening today as part of the "Neighbors in the New World" celebration, Philadelphia's commemoration of the Columbus Quicentenary which begins this weekend. The year-long celebration will honor all the people of the world who came to discover America in Philadelphia. Visitors can explore their ethnic heritage through any of the 19 self-guided "Heritage" tours of Philadelphia attractions, museums and sites. The 20th choice is a taste of Philly, suggesting things people can do in the city that relate to everyone. "The computers are the city's way of showcasing and celebrating the different peoples of Philadelphia," said Mark Beyerle, Visitors Center director. "They're one of a kind." Beyerle said the whole process takes 100 seconds and the user takes along a free laser printout. Along with the inauguration of the "Heritage" computers, Christopher Columbus and University founder Ben Franklin will lead a multi-ethnic Columbus Day Parade downtown. The parade will feature a walking calendar of events, previewing the year-long "Neighbors in the New World" celebration. "This will be a parade of the peoples," said Jane Haas, spokesperson for the Columbus 500 Corporation, a leading sponsor of the festival. Besides the different bands, balloons, and banners, Haas said that the parade will feature a "Walking Float" of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria crossing the Atlantic. Haas warned that those standing close to the curb should "take care not to be splashed by the ocean spray as the ships pass." The parade will begin at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday and proceed down Chestnut Street to Penn's Landing. Along with the parade, the "Neighbors in the New World" festival will feature entertainment, and foods and crafts from different cultures will be sold. Admission to the festival on the Great Plaza at Penn's Landing is free. It takes place from 12 to 8 p.m. A fireworks display at 7:30 p.m. caps off the festival. The four "Heritage" computers are housed at the Philadelphia Visitors Center, at 16th Street and JFK Boulevard; Independence National Historical Park Visitors Center, at 3rd and Walnut streets; the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, at 18 South 7th Street; and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, at 13th and Locust streets. Some other events in the "Neighbors in the New World" festival are the Benjamin Franklin Bridge Light Show on New Year's Eve, the opening of the New Jersey State Aquarium at Camden in February and special weekend festivals such as the International Freedom of Expression Weekend at the Philadelphia Zoo.