It was a simple case of supply exceeding demand. According to the leaders of many student performing arts groups, more freshmen came out to audition for performing arts groups this year than ever before. The number of freshmen auditioning was so high this year that even groups that normally have trouble recruiting new members were overwhelmed by the number of freshmen who auditioned and the number of students wanting roles exceeded the spaces available. Bruce Montgomery, the group's director, said not only was he impressed by the number of freshmen who came out for auditions, but also by the students' abilities. "I was certainly impressed with the vast array of talents many of the freshmen displayed," Montgomery said. Arts House Dance Chairperson Kristy Stern said that she was impressed by the turnout for the University's three dance troupes, since they are lesser known on campus. "Penn doesn't attract performing arts people in general, especially in dance because the University has no dance department," Stern said. "So it is encouraging to see so many people come out and audition." The biggest problem facing aspiring freshmen was the lack of parts in the various theatrical productions being produced this fall. Five of the six productions offer fewer than 10 roles. "There were so few roles offered this semester," said Theatre Arts Director Sara Rutstein. "Many upperclassmen with extensive experience in Penn theatre had trouble getting cast." But there were a few freshmen whose talents lifted them above their peers and earned them roles in a fall production. For these freshmen, getting cast was all the more satisfying knowing how difficult the competition was this year. College freshman Andrea Kemp, who was cast in the female lead of Quadramics' production of Wait Until Dark, said she thought that freshmen would have no chance at getting cast in leading roles. "I heard that freshman weren't going to get any leads," Kemp said. But theatre and dance groups were not the only ones to benefit from this year's talent boom. A cappella groups also had a chance to pick and choose from some of the best vocalists the freshmen class had to offer. Engineering senior David Quart, Off The Beat music director, said that the group auditioned a record 80 students, over half of which were freshmen. Quart said that many a cappella groups have only a few spots to offer and that freshmen who were not accepted this year should definitely re-audition for groups in the spring and next fall.