Representatives of the Psi Upsilon fraternity's national office met last month with former members of the fraternity and told them they may not act as representatives of Psi U or call themselves the "Owl Society." Psi U Executive Director Mark Williams said the national office and alumni heard through other alumni and campus sources that a group calling itself the "Owl Society," comprised primarily of former Psi U members, have been sharing a residence and conducting fraternity-like activities. Williams said yesterday he and representatives of the Psi U Alumni Association met with approximately 20 current students, who include members of the now-defunct Psi U chapter, in an effort to "clarify the status" of the students and the organization. The University's chapter of Psi U was suspended indefinitely last summer by the Psi U national and its charter was revoked by the University following the January 1990 kidnapping of a Delta Psi brother by members of Psi U. All former members of Psi U, except those who were most involved in the kidnapping and against whom the fraternity took disciplinary action, are now considered alumni, Williams said. Williams said he recognizes the students' right to assemble freely, but said he wants to make it clear that there is no active undergraduate chapter on campus. When the fraternity tries to regain recognition, as it may in the fall of 1993, operating an underground fraternity could hurt its chances. "Psi U doesn't, and never did, condone the activities [of the Owl Society]," Williams said. Williams said he asked the group not to call itself the "Owl Society" because it has significance for the fraternity. Psi U calls reactivated chapters, which have not been recognized as full chapters yet, "Owl Clubs" to distinguish between new colonies and reactivated chapters. Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson said she had heard rumors about a group of students who were once part of Psi U had been gathering. Morrisson said she had not warned any of the students that fraternity activities would be in violation of their sanctions, but the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs had spoken to them, she said. Former members of Psi U who are said to be leaders of the Owl Society could not be reached for comment last night.