As staff and faculty are in the process of voting on the fate of the University's charity system, several faculty members expressed concern yesterday that the United Way is supporting abortion restrictions. But United Way officials are insisting that they maintain a neutral position on the controversial issue. Faculty and staff are in the process of voting on a referendum that will help President Sheldon Hackney determine how the University's annual charity campaign will be run. According to a statement released yesterday, the United Way said its official policy is that it "does not fund abortions through its volunteer fund distribution process." United Way spokesperson Joe Divis said yesterday that the United Way policy's purpose is to unite the community, while taking a stance would only serve to "be divisive in the community." But Faculty Senate Chairperson Almarin Phillips said yesterday that he is concerned the United Way stance is not neutral, adding that a more neutral stance would appeal to a wider community. Faculty members said the abortion controversy originated in 1980, when United Way rejected Womens Way's request for membership. Womens Way officials said yesterday that this was due to the fact that some of their organizations provide abortion services. Microbiology Professor Helen Davies said earlier this week that she was upset with the United Way because of their political stance. She added that voters should understand the United Way's historical actions against Womens Way. The United Way "had an agreement with the Catholic Archdiocese to not fund abortion," Davies said. "And they wouldn't permit Womens Way, we had to fight to allow donor choice." And a former University Women's Center director said last night that United Way -- by not funding abortion groups -- has taken a firm stance against the reproductive rights movement. Many abortion-rights advocates point to a memo directed to United Way volunteers and contributors from former United Way President Francis De Lone, dated February 4, 1980, in which De Lone indicates that the Archdiocese had concerns over the United Way consideration of funding organizations that support abortion. The memo states that the United Way "accepted" the ideological positions of the Archdiocese to "strengthen and improve local human care services". Abortion is against the Catholic Church's dogma. Womens Way President Lynn Yeakel cited a letter dated January 11, 1980 to former Womens Way President Judith Harris that denies Womens Way membership due to an agreement with the Archdiocese. "While recognizing that Womens Way provides a large variety of services to women, the Committee also felt that Womens Way's insistence on including agencies and services that would contravene United Way's agreement with the Catholic Archdiocese make it unacceptable for United Way funding," the letter states. But United Way officials said yesterday that their agreement with the Catholic Archdiocese is no different than their agreements with all other member organizations. United Way's Divis said yesterday that the United Way makes "long-term agreements" with its member and partner organizations to determine the amount of money that each will receive. Archdiocese spokesperson Marie Kelly declined to comment yesterday, but said that officials may issue a statement today. The United Way has recommended that members of the Womens Way umbrella organization should apply for United Way membership individually so they could be judged on their own merits. Last month in Almanac, United Way official Ned Montgomery wrote that the United Way welcomes applications for membership from the umbrella organizations included in the Combined Campaign's proposal. "[The United Way] believes that their membership in United Way would be beneficial to the community," Montgomery stated. Womens Way's Yeakel said that to her knowledge, Womens Way would still not be permitted membership. Under the United Way system of giving, a donor can opt to give their money to a specific organization via donor choice or allow their money to be allocated by the United Way. Under the second option, donors may also choose to target a general area for their money, while allowing the United Way to determine the precise organization.