Civil rights leader H. Rap Brown told over 200 people in Houston Hall last night that blacks must continue Malclom X's struggle for black equality. In his hour-long speech, Brown, who also uses the name Jamil Al-Amin, said people should work toward Malcolm X's goals instead of placing him on a pedestal. Brown, the former head of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee, said the black struggle must have a focus and a viable program. "[Malcolm X] was about trying to find a program that would allow him to deal with oppression," Brown said. "Struggle is an ongoing process." Brown, who hardly paused for breath during his speech, urged students to pick up Malcolm X's cause where the leader left off. He said they should study his methods to avoid making the same mistakes that Malcolm X made. He added that Malcolm X should not be separated from the Civil Rights movement because because the two are intertwined. Brown also spoke about problems currently facing society, including untrustworthy leaders, immoral people, and the destruction of the earth. He warned the audience that the preservatives in food eventually contaminate the body, causing cancer. He said the estrogen injected into animals eventually alters the human body, and attributed the rise in homosexuality to the meat which makes men "soft." He also said that the estrogen in the meat makes women mature early and have children. To avoid contamination, people should fast and stop eating foods containing preservatives, he said. Brown added that minorities should not assimilate into the mainstream culture they want to be freed from because it leads to self-hatred and loss of identity. "Racism systematically verifies itself every time the slave breaks free by imitating the master," said Brown. Brown also warned the audience of the dangers of using definitions to identify people and places. "The whole concept of the third world refers to a first world and a second world," he said. As his speech ended, Brown requested that the audience refrain from clapping because it went against his religious doctrine. Instead, many members in the audience shouted out their praise. Jason Hurwitz, a College freshman, said he enjoyed the speech. "It's tough for me to relate," he said clutching his tape recorder. "But, the great part is trying to learn how to relate." "It was unbelievable that he could speak for an hour without even seeming to catch his breath," Hurwitz added. "It shows he is dedicated and knowledgeable." The speech was one of the last events to commemorate Black History Month, which ended yesterday.