University Police confiscated three pistols Tuesday from the Quadrangle and are holding them for "safe keeping," according to Commissioner John Kuprevich. The hand guns -- .22 caliber, .45 caliber and .38 caliber weapons -- were found in the Provost's Tower section of the Quad and were turned over to police this week by residential living officials, Kuprevich said. Provost's Tower is located on the corner of Spruce and 36th streets in the Lower Quad. Residential Living representatives said no students live there. The area houses a computer lab and several meeting rooms. Kuprevich said he did not know if the guns were found in a room or in a hallway. Several residential living officials contacted yesterday said that they either did not know about the discovery or declined to comment on it. Kuprevich said he did not know who found the weapons, but said police were notified Tuesday and were asked to take the weapons. The commissioner added that police are investigating the matter to see if any University policies were violated and to "see if the gun was used in some crime." They are holding the weapons until someone claims them with proof of ownership. Kuprevich said police also referred the case to Judicial Inquiry Officer Constance Goodman. Goodman confirmed last night that her office was conducting an investigation, but she said she could not comment on the case. University confidentiality regulations prohibit Goodman from discussing any case before her. South Campus Assistant Director of Services Thomas Heary said yesterday afternoon that he did not know about the incident. Assistant Dean in Residence Brenda Ridley, who covers the Spruce Street portion of the Quad, said she could not comment on the incident. Residential advisors for that area of the Quad could not be reached for comment.