Organizers of events commemorating the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. are hoping the outbreak of war in the Persian Gulf will not overshadow their efforts to remember a man who fought and died for peace, freedom, and equality. The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. commemorative program, which began on January 15, will continue today and for the next few weeks. Dan Butler, an administrative assistant for the Afro-American Studies Department, said he was excited about the upcoming events but he expressed concern about being overshadowed by Operation Desert Storm. "It makes it all a little more significant," said Butler. "You have to wonder if the leadership today makes the same giant steps toward peace." The undergraduate chapter of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. and the W.E.B. DuBois College house will sponsor a candlelight vigil Sunday. Beginning at 7 p.m., the vigil will proceed from DuBois to College Green. David Biggs, assistant dean of DuBois house, served on the King observance committee. He also expressed concern over the Gulf crisis. "Unfortunately the events were overshadowed by the beginnings of the war in the Gulf," said Biggs. At 7 p.m. on Monday, the Christian Association will present "The Meeting." "It's a film showing a fictitious account of a meeting between King and Malcolm X," said Beverly Dale, the C.A.'s executive director. "This should be followed by a very lively discussion of violence versus nonviolence. In this time of war, this is an appropriate discussion to have." Dale also said the programs will continue in the upcoming months. "We need to move away from celebrating black American history in only one month," Dale said. "We will focus on African-American concerns and issues of racism, and that is not just an African-American concern." Other events include: · Tonight the University City Hospitality Coalition and the Christian Association will hold a Memorial Vigil from 5 to 8 p.m. at City Hall. · WPXN 88.5 FM and the Pennsylvania Council for Arts will sponsor a performance tonight at 7 p.m. in the Houston Hall Auditorium. The program will feature poet Sonia Sanchez and musicians. · On Monday, the Onyx Senior Honor Society, the Black Student League, and the Undergraduate Assembly will host a commemorative brunch at the DuBois College House from noon to 2 p.m. · The Greenfield Intercultural Center and the Black Graduate and Professional Student Association will present successive episodes of "Eyes on the Prize," an award winning series. The program will be at 4 p.m. weekdays at the Greenfield Center. · On Wednesday, the School of Social work will present New Freedom Theatre in Houston Hall at 1:30 p.m. · On Friday, Steve Rowland, the WXPN 88.5 FM Artist-in-Residence, will discuss his work and the business of producing for radio. For information about the time and place, call 898-6677.