09-28-23-fine-wine-good-spirits-steven-li

Forty-eight of Philadelphia's retail wine and liquor stores, including University City’s Fine Wine and Good Spirits, were closed after a looting on Sept. 27.

Credit: Steven Li

Most Philadelphia liquor stores have reopened Thursday, following at least 18 liquor stores being looted on Tuesday night. 

On Wednesday, the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board closed 48 of Philadelphia's retail wine and liquor stores, including University City’s Fine Wine & Good Spirits on 42nd and Chestnut streets. As of Thursday, only nine Philadelphia stores remain closed until further notice — not including University City's main liquor store. 

In an email sent to the Penn community on Wednesday, the Division of Public Safety wrote that multiple individuals looted several retail stores in various areas of Philadelphia, including Center City, North, and West Philadelphia. No looting occurred in the DPS patrol zone, according to the email. 

Employee safety and assessing damages were the main motivators for closing the liquor stores, Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board press secretary Shawn Kelly wrote in a statement to CNN. 

Fifty-two people were arrested, including three juveniles, according to CNN. Thirty of those arrests face charges of burglary and theft. The results of the looting prompted the Board to close all Fine Wine and Good Spirits locations in Philadelphia and one location in Montgomery County.

Looting took place around 8 p.m. after peaceful demonstrations ended when a judge dismissed all charges against Mark Dial, a former Philadelphia police officer, in the Aug. 14 shooting of Eddie Irizarry. No employees were harmed. Commissioner John Stanford said the looting is not related to the protests but rather “criminal opportunists” attempting to exploit the demonstrations, reported CNN. 

Videos were later posted on X, the site formerly known as Twitter, depicting the looting of the retail stores Apple, Lululemon, and Foot Locker.

DPS said in their statement that they are in constant communication with law enforcement, in case of potential disruptions throughout the city. 

“Public Safety has also prepared for any activity and will alert the community should there be an ongoing safety threat within our Patrol Zone,” the statement read.