houstonhall
Credit: Lizzy Machielse

Two freshman candidates for Class Board president were declared guilty of violations of the Fair Practice Code, the Nominations and Elections Committee announced on Saturday, after a public hearing in Huntsman Hall. The election will be rerun because the NEC determined that the candidates' violations biased the results of that particular race.

The results for all ten student government races were set to be released on Thursday night until the NEC delayed the release pending the outcome of the hearing.

Engineering freshman Jack Talley and College freshman Connor Wright were both declared guilty at the hearing of violating the FPC, the regulatory document that sets the standards for student government and puts forth election and campaigning policies. Both candidates violated the electronic social networks clause, which disallows candidates or their surrogates from posting in "any university-sponsored, created, or managed social networking group designated as class-wide, school-wide/class-wide, or interdisciplinary program-wide listservs." 

A charge against Talley was filed by fellow candidate College freshman Matthew Schnitzer. The NEC filed a separate charge against Wright. Both candidates were accused of either posting or having someone post on their behalf in the Class of 2020 Facebook page. 

The remaining four candidates for Class Board president are Schnitzer, Wharton freshman Rahul Chopra, Engineering and Wharton freshman Karim El Sewedy and Wharton freshman Bradley Smith.

The NEC released returns from the nine other student government races once the hearing was completed.

In the Undergraduate Assembly New Student Representative race, there was a tie for the candidacy between College freshman Michelle Kim and College freshman Max Grove. Seventeen students ran for eight spots and Kim and Grove are tied with 310 points each. There will be a runoff election between these two candidates to determine who becomes the eighth UA New Student Representative.

The results, by position:

UA New Student Representative:

Jason Kim

Elena Hoffman

Brian Goldstein

Natasha Menon

Hong Nguyen

Jordan Andrews

William Kwok

Michelle Kim and Max Grove (tie)

Class Board 2020 School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Chair:

Sophia Moses

Class Board 2020 Wharton Chair:

Andy Shao

Class Board 2020 Nursing Chair:

Davis Tse

Class Board 2020 School of Arts and Sciences Chairs:

Vanessa Wanyandeh

Shane Goldstein

Class Board 2020 VP Finances:

Jack Stinger

Class Board 2020 VP Internal

Michelle Kim

Class Board 2020 VP External:

Lucy Ma

Class Board 2020 Executive VP

Jason Kim