The Social Planning and Events Committee and Class Boards are bringing a dose of energy to this year’s Skimmer Fest.

SPEC and the Class Boards announced at midnight Thursday that Free Energy — a rock band based out of Philadelphia — will headline Skimmer Fest.

“They’re not necessarily the biggest name, but they’re the ones who will pump the students up the most,” SPEC President and College senior Josh Oppenheimer said. “As much as Free Energy’s a draw, we want students to come because they’re excited about Penn, about Penn Athletics and have school spirit.”

The Sept. 22 event, which will be held on College Green, marks the first time that Fall Fest and Skimmer have been combined into one.

In selecting Free Energy, the event organizers wanted “a cool band people could watch and enjoy as the main attraction, but also a headliner that could augment the theme of school spirit without overtaking it,” 2014 Class Board President and Wharton junior Spencer Penn said.

In addition to Free Energy, Skimmer Fest will also feature appearances by Penn performers like Off the Beat and Mask & Wig, as well as Kenn Kweder.

Planning for Skimmer Fest took place throughout the summer. According to Spencer Penn, SPEC and the Class Boards considered more than 100 potential performers — ranging from DJs to cover artists — before settling on Free Energy.

“They’re obviously a great band, very talented and fun for first-time listeners,” he said. “We’re really looking forward to it.”