The infamous “wind tunnel” between the high-rise college houses may soon come to serve a practical purpose.

In 2008, a pair of anemometers — instruments designed to measure wind speeds — were installed within the wind tunnel between the high rises to obtain data on average wind velocities.

In the coming months, the data will help determine the viability of installing an energy-generating wind turbine in the area.

The introduction of the anemometers resulted from Penn alumna Soleil Roberts’ Environmental Science 484 thesis project.

“A vertical-axis wind turbine would be an ideal form of generating energy from wind in the ‘wind tunnel’ at Penn, where complicated wind patterns produce high velocity, gusty winds,” Roberts explained in an e-mail.

The first meter was positioned between Harrison College House and Civic House, and the second between Harnwell College House and 1920 Commons.

According to Roberts, after collecting data for over a year, she realized that it would be necessary to relocate the meter near Harrison, since wind velocities at the meter’s original location have been consistently too low to operate a turbine.

By contrast, the meter between Harnwell and Commons has yielded more promising data, showing average wind speeds of about 10 miles per hour, Roberts said.

She added that the Harnwell meter data show that “there is enough wind to keep most [turbines] spinning on even seemingly calm days.”

Environmental Sustainability Coordinator and Senior Facilities and Real Estate Services Planner Dan Garofalo agreed that a wind turbine is “possible,” though Facilities — which took over the project after Roberts graduated — is still in the process of locating a vendor who will analyze the 14 to 16 months’ worth of data generated so far.

“We have to figure out what the wind-speed data we have mean in terms of potential power generation,” he said.

Even as he acknowledged the “ingenuity” of Roberts’ project, Garofalo expressed some concern over whether wind velocities near the high rises will be sufficient to sustain the year-round operation of a turbine.

“It’s really gusty and strong for weeks at a time in fall and winter, but pretty calm for months at a time in summer,” he said. “If we had the wind power that we have in November all year long, it would be pretty straightforward.”

He also named potential maintenance expenses as a possible deterrent to the installation of a turbine.

Nevertheless, he emphasized the awareness-raising potential of Penn’s adoption of wind turbines in its ongoing efforts to promote renewable energy.

“In some respects, [the project] is already a success because it spreads the message that Penn is interested in looking into these innovative approaches,” he said.

According to Garofalo, both anemometers are likely to be relocated within the next four to five months.