11-03-23-board-of-trustees-meeting-ethan-young
Penn's Board of Trustees convened at the Inn at Penn on Nov. 3. Credit: Ethan Young

Penn President Liz Magill announced her plans to resign in an email to the Penn community on Dec. 9. Minutes later, Scott Bok wrote he is stepping down from his position as the chair of the University Board of Trustees, according to a statement from Bok obtained by The Daily Pennsylvanian.

The DP is compiling updates as the University prepares to announce an interim president.

Dec. 12 at 2:09 p.m.:

Penn's Board of Trustees has selected J. Larry Jameson — executive vice president of the University of Pennsylvania for the Health System and dean of the Perelman School of Medicine — to serve as the University's interim president following the resignation of Penn President Liz Magill on Saturday afternoon.

"Before I present the resolution, I want to thank Liz Magill for her service to our university, and now with her resignation as president, the trustees wish to appoint Dr. Larry Jameson as interim president, a position which he will hold until a permanent president is appointed," Interim Board of Trustees Chair Julie Platt said.

Read more about Jameson here.

Dec. 12 at 10:43 a.m.:

The Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees will hold a public meeting today at 2 p.m. It is unclear what will be discussed at the meeting. A University spokesperson told The Daily Pennsylvanian yesterday that the search for an interim president was already underway, and that Penn expected to make an announcement in the coming days.

The meeting was announced in a message to the Penn community from the Office of the University Secretary.

Dec. 11 at 5:38 p.m.:

J. Larry Jameson is a leading candidate to be the University’s interim president following Magill’s resignation, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. If Jameson is selected, it is unclear how long Jameson would serve for, and when the University plans on beginning its search for a new permanent president.

Jameson has served as executive vice president of the University of Pennsylvania for the Health System and dean of the Perelman School of Medicine since 2011. He previously served as dean of the Feinberg School of Medicine and vice president of medical affairs at Northwestern University.

Under Jameson's tenure as dean, the Medical School rose to No. 3 in Research in the U.S. News and World Report Medical School rankings, before ending its participation on Jan. 24 — three days before the deadline to submit data for the coming year.

Dec. 11 at 5:03 p.m.:

"The University's Board of Trustees is actively working to appoint an Interim President and that process is well underway, with a formal announcement anticipated in the coming days," a University spokesperson told the DP.