2023-goldwater-scholars-photo-from-penn-today

(Clockwise from top left) Juniors Andreas Ghosh, Zijian (William) Niu, Angela Song, and Jason Wang were recently named 2023 Goldwater Scholars (Photo from Penn Today).

Four Penn students were awarded the 2023 Goldwater Scholarship to fund their research careers in a STEM field.

The Goldwater Scholarship is awarded annually to sophomores or juniors who intend to pursue research careers in the fields of natural science, mathematics, and engineering. Students who are awarded the scholarship are provided up to a maximum of $7,500 annually for up to two years of undergraduate study.

Juniors Andreas Ghosh, Zijian (William) Niu, Angela Song, and Jason Wang are among the 413 recipients selected from an estimated pool of 5,000 applicants. 

Andreas Ghosh, from New York City, is pursuing a dual degree in the Vagelos Integrated Program in Energy Research. He intends to pursue a doctorate in chemistry after graduating with hopes of becoming a professor and studying renewable energy.

Zijian (William) Niu, from Winchester, Massachusetts, is majoring in biochemistry, biophysics, and physics in the College of Arts and Sciences. After graduating, he intends to pursue a Ph.D. in computational biology to further study biomedical image analysis. 

Angela Song, from Princeton Junction, New Jersey, is majoring in bioengineering in the School of Engineering and Applied Science. She is interested in the field of engineering for molecular therapeutics for disease and plans to pursue a Ph.D. in bioengineering.

Jason Wang, from Lexington, Kentucky, is majoring in biophysics in the College. He intends to pursue an MD-Ph.D. in membrane biophysics.

For students to receive the award, they must have an outstanding academic record, including a 3.85 GPA or higher or extensive research or publication in STEM-related fields. Students must also intend to pursue a Ph.D. or master’s degree in STEM.

The University nominates four students, but transfer students are encouraged to apply since the University can submit a 5th nominee if the student transferred to Penn, according to Penn Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships. 

Last year, five Penn students were awarded the Goldwater Scholarship. In total, Penn has produced 59 Goldwater Scholars since the scholarship first began in 1986, according to Penn Today.