01-25-22-nursing-school-building-oscar-vasquez
Claire M. Fagin Hall, School of Nursing on Jan. 15, 2022. Credit: Oscar Vasquez

Two School of Nursing professors received the 2022 Hillman Foundation Grants for Research Addressing the Health of Marginalized Populations. 

Margo Brooks Carthon was given the award for her study, Expanding and Evaluating the THRIVE Transitional Care Support Program for Economically Disadvantaged Individuals, which she served as the principal investigator for. The Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation awarded her $300,000 to grow a second research site designed to generate new evidence to support the research. 

According to the RAHF foundation, THRIVE is a holistic approach to care provided to patients adjusting to life after getting discharged from the hospital. Carthon’s research stemmed from prior studies that showed THRIVE reduced rehospitalization rates.

Sara Jacoby was awarded for her study, Changing the Prescription: Leveraging Strategic Partnerships Between Nurses and Planners to Achieve Health Equity through Housing Policy.

Jacoby’s study is in collaboration with the Housing Initiative at Penn, and builds on previous work supported by a 2021 Hillman Catalyst Award. The study leverages perspectives and ideas from nurses, urban planners, housing and public officials, as well as environmental agencies. 

RAHF awards $1.5 million through various awards, to “bold, nursing-driven innovations that promote equitable, person-centered, and trustworthy care.” The grant, established in 2014, was created to encourage innovation and research stewardship that served to tackle the distinct needs of marginalized communities. 

“Nursing must play a critical role in creating a more equitable and just healthcare system,” RAHF Executive Director Ahrin Mishan said in a press release. “We believe nursing — especially in collaboration with other disciplines and through deep community engagement — is a powerful force for change.”