01-05-21-us-capitol-building-chase-sutton
The United States Capitol on Jan. 5, 2021. Credit: Chase Sutton

From the hearings investigating the insurrection on January 6 to the recently passed Inflation Reduction Act, the U.S. Congress witnesses an array of history and policy making. Many Penn students interned on Capitol Hill this summer, providing them with a front-row seat at the legislative branch of the U.S. government.

Congressional interns have an array of tasks, including responding to constituents, helping out around the office, and giving tours of the Capitol. However, since every representative has different priorities, each internship experience has a unique flair.

To understand what it’s like to be a congressional intern, The Daily Pennsylvanian spoke to three students who worked on Capitol Hill over the summer.

College sophomore Chloe Hunt interned in the office of Congressman Brian K. Fitzpatrick, who represents Pennsylvania’s 1st congressional district. Hunt is not from Congressman Fitzpatrick’s district, but she was intent on working for Congressman Fitzpatrick due to his bipartisan nature.

“In an age where politics can be polarized so quickly, and there’s not a lot of bipartisan dialogue, I really wanted to work for a congressman who makes that his focus,” Hunt told the DP. “If you demonize views that aren’t your own, there’s no way for the world to get better.”

Hunt, a previous staffer at the Daily Pennsylvanian, commented that her time interning for Congressman Fitzpatrick exposed her to many skills including journalism, marketing, and legislative procedures.

“They basically show you all the ropes, you’re not just working on policy,” Hunt said. “We had a specific week on press relations, where we got to learn about the process of writing a floor speech, making a statement, and how that whole process works.”

College sophomore Matt Fleischer interned for Congressman Brian Mast, who represents Florida’s 18th Congressional District, where Fleischer is from. Fleischer told the DP how he particularly appreciates the work Congressman Mast has done on environmental issues.

“There's a lake near my house called Lake Okeechobee, and a lot of the local companies have released toxins into the lake. As a result, there have been major algae blooms,” Fleischer told the DP. “The Congressman has made it his mission since 2016, on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, to pass water infrastructure projects that would protect our ecosystems, which has been really effective.”

Although Congressman Mast is a member of the Republican party and Fleischer is a registered Democrat, Fleischer noted how the political ideology differences in the office enhanced his internship and personal political beliefs.

“One of my favorite things about working in an office with people who may not agree with me on all of the issues is that I've been able to challenge what I think. Over my summer experience, I've reaffirmed a lot of what I believe, but at the same time, I've also challenged a lot of my thoughts," Fleischer said.

College junior Esha Mishra worked for Congressman Frank Mrvan, who represents Indiana's 1st congressional district. Currently interested in public health and women’s rights, Misha had the opportunity to research reproductive rights issues for the Congressman amid the near-total abortion ban currently set in Indiana.

“When you’re working on the Hill, you feel like you’re in the middle of everything. Everything goes on like around you. In the building next to you, they’re holding a hearing about gun control. In the other building next to you, Nancy Pelosi is sitting in her office. Just being in that sort of environment is really exciting,” Mishra said to the DP.