penn-commons-kylie-cooper

The Triple 'S' show was held at Irvine Auditorium this year.

Credit: Kylie Cooper

The Intercultural Greek Council's annual Triple ‘S’ Show returned on April 30 for the first time since 2019.

The Triple ‘S’ Show is a "step, stroll, and/or salute" competition among 12 IGC fraternity and sorority chapters during the 126th Penn Relays. The show was held at Irvine Auditorium starting at 7 p.m., and each team put on a performance related to a childhood movie in accordance with this year's theme.

The show aimed to highlight the history and significance of stepping, strolling, and saluting, which has origins in African American Greek life, according to Nursing senior and IGC President Luz Elena Pérez. Proceeds from the show went to The Block Gives Back, a nonprofit organization based in Philadelphia, and the IGC Step Show Fund.

IGC hosted a cookout at Penn Commons before the show and an after-party in the Hall of Flags in Houston Hall. 

This year’s Triple ‘S’ Show was a rebranded combination of two previously distinct shows, the Step Show and the Yard Show, Pérez said.

The Step Show was traditionally limited to historically Black Greek letter organizations, while other organizations participated in the Yard Show. The merging of the two shows meant all organizations in IGC were invited to perform together.

Pérez said the combined format of the show was an opportunity to promote IGC's cultural diversity and create something that was “more inclusive” and “more representative of what the council is.”

“The Triple ‘S’ Show this year is an opportunity for the Intercultural Greek Council to really showcase the diversity within our council and also shed light to the traditions within our organizations,” she said.

Pérez added that she is very “proud” to have successfully put together a show of such magnitude considering that IGC only has around 100 individual members in total.

“To me, it’s really inspiring just to be surrounded by individuals who are willing to put all of their effort and energy into this show, especially because we’re approaching finals, and it’s the last week of class,” Pérez said.

Students of color said they were able to share part of their culture and their strong connections with their IGC peers with the Penn community through their performances.

“[The showcase] is a representation of the bond that we kind of share as a collective throughout each individual organization,” College senior Jason McCleod, who is a member of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity, said.

The competition had three rounds, and in the first round, participants had to implement African American history into their performance. McCleod said that the movie his fraternity performed, Roll Bounce, is a staple in the African American community.

“I absolutely want [the first round] to be one of the most engaging aspects of my performance,” McCleod said. “We’re trying to make sure the audience could watch our show and understand the movie that we’re doing and also understand the history behind stepping, strolling, and saluting.”

McCleod said he spent an average of 20 hours per week practicing in the weeks leading up to the show. McCleod, a graduating senior and first-time performer at the step show, added that he hoped the audience enjoyed the performance and appreciated its history.

“This is my statement as a senior and a member of a Greek organization,” he said. “And I hope [the audience] will walk away with some more knowledge of the Intercultural Greek Council and the organizations.”