03-28-22-sex-well-jesse-zhang
Sex Well is among two of the popular programs that Penn Campus Health is relaunching this semester. Credit: Jesse Zhang

Penn Campus Health relaunches self-guided wellness programs for students for the spring semester.

Penn usually runs the workshops only once a semester, but following encouraging feedback from former participants, Campus Health brought back “Sleep Well” and “Sex Well," two popular self-help programs, for a second cohort this semester.

Participants enrolled in Sleep Well’s "Refresh" program will learn about improving their sleep habits in order to get “more restful nights.” The seven-week self-help program includes weekly emails with information and practice activities to strengthen students’ sleep quality and reduce distress caused from sleep problems.

The program promotes health and education and begins with videos from Perelman School of Medicine professor of psychiatry Philip Gehrman, who discusses how best to set a regular wake up time, create a rhythm to your day, and establish nighttime routines. The workshop will also provide participants with campus tools and resources to achieve optimal sleep quality and quantity.

Sleep Well's website mentions that all participants will receive a "small prize" and will be entered into a raffle for a grand prize.

Sex Well’s "Penn’s Declassified Sex Survival Guide" advertises turning a “difficult and sometimes uncomfortable topic of conversation into a fun game.” The six-week self-guided program teaches students how to improve sexual health and sexual relationships with information, tips, and campus resources emailed every week. 

Executive Director of Public Health and Wellbeing Ashlee Halbritter said that the Sex Well program has received strong feedback from students on topics including healthy relationships and partner communication.

The workshop covers a breadth of sexual health topics, including contraception, condoms, STDs, HIV and AIDS, and random sexual health trivia through a unique version of "Jeopardy!" organized by Campus Health.

Students can register for "Refresh" and "Penn’s Declassified Sex Survival Guide" through the Campus Health website.

In addition to the self-guided workshops, Campus Health also offers weekly online guided meditations on Mondays at 3 p.m. and Thursdays at 12 p.m. as part of Be Well’s stress reduction program. Students can view archived meditation sessions until the program resumes later this semester.