01-23-22-fencing-vs-ohio-state-emon-daroian-samantha-turner

Senior Emon Daroian (left) parries his opponent's attack during the competition against Ohio State University for the Philadelphia Invitational at the Tse Center on Jan. 23.

Credit: Samantha Turner

Senior epee Emon Daroian played a crucial role at the NCAA Championships this past weekend, with Penn fencing finishing eighth. The Encino, Calif. native finished in third place in the men’s epee, earning him first team All-American honors for the second time in his career.

In total, through the first six rounds of competition, the senior was able to emerge victorious in 69% of his bouts, winning 16 out of 23 of them. Darian’s 16 wins were enough to catapult him into the semi-finals where he eventually fell to Princeton freshman Nicholas Lawson, 15-11.

The NCAA Championships mark the end of a successful Quaker career for Daroian. Over his four years with the program, the epee earned numerous awards, including two first team All-Ivy, one second team All-Ivy, one first team All-Region, and one second team All-Region.

Honorable Mention(s):

Fencing: Senior epee Eliot Herbst placed tied for 11th at the NCAA Championships, winning 12 bouts and losing only 11, earning honorable mention All-American honors. Herbst and Daroian were the only two Quakers to earn All-American honors at the event.

Softball: Junior pitcher Bella Fiorentino was named Ivy League Pitcher of the Week after throwing a shutout against Brown in Penn’s series-clinching win by a score of 3-0. Fiorentino gave up only two hits across her innings pitched.