10-2-2021-womens-soccer-versus-cornell-sizzy-lawton-carol-gao
Junior Sizzy Lawton attempts to cut around Cornell defender Mofoluke Obiri at Rhodes Field on Oct. 2. Credit: Carol Gao

Men and women’s soccer, women’s volleyball, and field hockey are all in action this weekend. All Quaker teams will face Ivy League competition.

Men’s Soccer

Men's soccer (5-3-2, 0-1-1) is back on its home field this weekend, aiming for its first Ivy League win after a 1-1 tie against Columbia this past Saturday. The team will welcome Dartmouth to Rhodes Field this Saturday at 5 p.m.  

The Red and Blue stole a tough 2-1 win against Drexel on Tuesday, during which the Dragons dominated the majority of the game. The Quakers only made eight shots, yet they managed to put two of the team's three shots on target into the back of the net. The path to victory was aided by senior goalkeeper Dane Jacomen, who made a career-high 11 saves.

Senior forward Matt Leigh continued his outstanding performance this season with a goal in the Drexel game, leading the team with four goals and three assists. Senior midfielder Ben Stitz, whose deflected shot found Leigh in front of the goal, has a team-leading seven assists in 10 games. 

Dartmouth, currently sitting at a 1-8-0, will enter the game with the same mindset as the Red and Blue, aiming for its first Ivy League win, after falling 2-0 to Yale this past Saturday. The Quakers will seek to end its five-game losing streak against the Big Green with its first Ivy League win of the season.

Women’s Soccer

Women's soccer is also back in action this weekend, hoping to build on its 6-3-2 record. The Red and Blue will host Dartmouth on Rhodes Field this Saturday at 2 p.m. 

Coming off a 2-0 loss against Columbia this past Saturday, the Quakers have yet to capture an away win this season. However, the team had some noticeable stats against the Lions: a 7-0 advantage on corner kicks and a 15-13 advantage on shots. The Quakers seek to continue their six-game home winning streak on Rhodes Field.

Sophomore goalkeeper Laurence Gladu rejected the Lion’s attempts seven times, her second-highest save total of the season, only behind to her career-high 11 saves against Harvard.

Dartmouth (5-4-1, 1-2-0) won its last game against Yale, though the Bulldogs had an advantage in both shots on target and corner kicks. The Big Green will be facing the Red and Blue, hoping to continue its Ivy League winning streak. The Quakers, having beat Dartmouth in every game since 2017, are also eager to secure its second conference victory of the year.

Women’s Volleyball

After a tough loss to Cornell, women’s volleyball (5-9, 2-3) will play two matches this weekend: first against Brown (12-3, 5-0 Ivy) on Friday at 7 p.m. and then against Yale (10-4, 3-2) on Saturday at 5 p.m. The Quakers will host both teams in the Palestra. 

The team couldn’t keep up its winning streak with its 3-0 loss to Cornell last weekend. Although the Quakers made only eight errors, they were overwhelmed by the Big Red’s attack and fell short on both kills and aces. 

Junior captain and outside hitter Autumn Leak continued her leading performance, as she had nine kills and five digs during the match, making a huge contribution to both the offense and defense.

Senior captain and opposite hitter Margaret Planek also had a solid performance, tallying up a team-high 10 kills against Cornell. She has 2.52 kills per set so far in the season, only second to Leak’s dominant mark of 4.0 kills per set. 

Brown is currently on an eight-match wining streak and has won every Ivy League match that the team has played this season. Yale also has a strong standing in the conference, with only two losses, both being hard-fought five-set matches. The Red and Blue need to be prepared for two tough match days that are coming very soon. 

Field Hockey

After the decisive winner scored by junior Meghan Ward in overtime, the Red and Blue finally captured its long-awaited Ivy League win against Cornell last weekend. The field hockey team (4-6, 1-2) will travel to Providence to play Brown this Saturday at 12 p.m. 

Key players on the team include senior captain Gracyn Banks, junior Sydney Huang, and junior Olivia Kenny, who are all tied for a team-leading two goals and two assists. 

Sophomore keeper Sabien Paumen continued her solid performance, as she brought up her save rate to 0.649, allowing 26 goals, while registering 48 saves in the past 10 games.