governor-tom-wolf

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec. 8.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently isolating at home. 

Wolf, 72, announced in a statement on Wednesday that he tested positive Tuesday after taking a routine COVID-19 test. He said he is currently not experiencing any symptoms, but is following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Department of Health guidelines. 

Wolf is continuing to work remotely, he tweeted Wednesday afternoon. His wife, Frances, is awaiting test results and is also self-quarantining. 

“As this virus rages, my positive test is a reminder that no one is immune from COVID," Wolf wrote in the statement. "Following all precautions as I have done is not a guarantee, but it is what we know to be vital to stopping the spread of the disease."

Wolf's diagnosis comes as COVID-19 infections hit all-time highs nationwide and in Pennsylvania. The commonwealth reported 8,703 new cases on Wednesday, down from Saturday's peak of 12,884 new cases. The United States, which just recently topped 15 million total cases, reported 220,225 new cases on Tuesday. 

Philadelphia introduced stricter COVID-19 guidelines last month in response to rising cases in the area, which forced public spaces such as gyms and museums to close and restaurants to limit capacity. City health officials announced Tuesday that the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine could be available in Philadelphia as early as next week. 

"I ask all Pennsylvanians to wear a mask, stay home as much as possible, socially distance yourself from those not in your household, and, most of all, take care of each other and stay safe," Wolf wrote in the statement.